Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnw10 View Post
1)...I add calcium/ph buffer every couple of weeks but I've done nothing different the last month than I have the previous 5....
So, you do monitor (test) regularly for Ca/Alk and pH since you are dosing, right? Red foot, purple tips is a very generic description, but is sounds like a condy.

Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Condy Anemone

It is not really normal for a anemone to 'hide'. The idea that your lights are the problem is kind of a tough one since it has removed itself from the light. What is your light cycle? That is, what time do your lights come on and what time do they go off? Typically an anemone that is not happy with its lighting, water flow or neighbors will 'wander', usually higher up on the reef if possible to make up for the lack of lighting. The anemone will move to a spot it finds more suitable to it's needs, not hide. No light and no food are a bad combination, I would look at what you are dosing, make sure alk or PH hasn't gotten too far out of range. I would also be curious as to it's neighbors, maybe something has started a 'chemical' war with the anemone. However, unless it is on a piece of rock that can be easily moved with out tearing the anemone, I personally would not advise attempting to move it. You may have to simply wait it out in hopes that what ever is bothering it will resolve itself. You could try re-adjusting water flow, cease dosing (unless proper testing dictates otherwise) and try a couple extra water changes, keeping a close eye on your SG.

Best of luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I test the PH regularly and it's very consistent at 8.2, LFS said no need to test Alk if I'm changing water once a week...

I don't think it's the condy Anenome. I know my description if vague but if he ever comes out I'll take a picture. The foot is a very vibrant red like the Condy in the link but the tentacles are a light purple and are not nearly as long. He's always been small and for the 6 months I've had him seemed quite happy on one of 2 places in the tank and wouldn't wonder until recently going under the rocks and not coming out. His neighbors on that rock were just 2 small feather dusters and other rock with CA on it. The other corals are on other areas of the tank, the fish always left him alone.

He's not actually attached to a rock, he's just under the rocks "sitting" on the sand bottom.

I'll move the position of the powerheads and see if that makes any difference.

I've read previously of people having an anenome disappear for a week or so and come out as two, that it would disappear when cloning itself. Is this a possibility?

Light cycle is 8hrs a day on a timer per the LFS recommendation, no outside light whatsoever reaches this room.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A photo is worth a thousand words. Any chance you could post a good shot of it? My vote on the cloning question is, I doubt its splitting. A split usually takes 8 - 10 hours give or take.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Camera phone isn't the best but here's a shot

He's quite small here, look at the turbo snail shell next to him or the small clam. I took this yesterday, he later curled his tentacles in and all you could see was his foot and he was down to the size of a nickel maybe. Right now he's reinflated himself about 50% bigger than this picture shows.

Yesterday I moved the LR and moved him out from under it and he's stayed in this corner since. I tried feeding him again yesterday but he didn't take. Am going to try again this afternoon after my weekly water change.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How is your nem doing?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, since I moved him out, he hasn't moved from a 5 square inch area. He wouldn't eat still so in a bit of a desperation attempt before I left for a week for vacation, I bought a new batch of silversides and he ate one! I'll be feeding him again today and see if he takes it as well. He's still very small and spends most of his time on his side and not sitting upright.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would not force alot of food on him. He gets alot of what he needs from the lighting and water column.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Excellent news, silversides is a favorite among the nems. If you drop it into the tenticles and it 'sticks' it will take care of it from there. If it lets the food drop, then by all means don't try and force any food into its mouth. Eating is a great sign, I feed my 3 twice a week...You guessed it, silversides.

GL!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

my anenome disappeared for a few weeks... and when i saw him again he had attached to a large hermit crab's shell and was cruising with him. haha

Tags
anenome, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com