hiding anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smnw10

Aquarium Advice Regular
I normally feed my anenome every 3 days but he went and hid behind some of my live rock to where I don't see him and can't get back there to feed him. He's been back here for nearly 3 weeks now. He came out last week for an hour or so and I tried feeding him but he wouldn't take it and went back behind the rocks.

I'm worried because he hasn't eaten in 3 weeks and is staying secluded. I've had him for 6 months and he's always seemed happy and stable. Everything else is doing just fine and all water parameters are fine.

Should I be worried at all or just let him be? I know it's time for new bulbs, could this partly be the problem or would he be moving around more or shrinking?

I'm not positive the species, but he's got a bright red foot with a white/purplish top and he's small....the size of a computer mouse when he's extremely inflated or as small as a quarter if he shrinks himself up all the way.

thanks,
John

What exactly are the water parameters?
What kind of lighting and what sized tank?
What are you feeding?
What other fish are in the tank?

1) Nitrites are 0; PH is 8.2; salinity is 1.024; temp is 79
2) 2 65 watt compact flourescent lights, 10,000K; 55 gallon tank, has been setup for 18 months, I've had it 6 months. When I bought the tank/everything I transferred everything and 80% of the water and got it set back up right away, nothing had issues at all in the move.
3) Feeding it silversides, it didn't seem to care for shrimp. About 6 weeks ago a hermit pulled a silverside out of the anenome when it was about done eating. It was spewing stuff in the tank, the protein skimmer went crazy and I was changing out water pretty rapidly for a couple hours. The LFS said he was ok since after the water changes and so forth he reinflated and looked OK. He even ate a couple days later with no issues. This was at least 6 weeks ago though.
EDIT: I ended up changing out about 15 gallons of water that evening

4) 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, and 2 striped eel catfish, 2 cleaner shrimp, a couple of stars

I also have some corral in there that's doing fine and so are the featherdusters and snails. I add calcium/ph buffer every couple of weeks but I've done nothing different the last month than I have the previous 5. I just picked up some new bulbs and am putting them in.

thanks

Seems that is kind of low lighting, but if it was fine before, maybe the bulbs just need to be replaced.

I personally dont think you have enough lighting.Your lighting intensity is not enough for an anenome. Even if you go by WPG it`s not enough. You`d have to at least double your lighting. I would consider getting getting som T5`s for your tank. Good intensity that will be good for your anenome.

Its probably every person has a different opinion...
The setup is 2 65watt CFLs 10,000k with 2 65 watt CFLs that are nighttime lights...6,000K. The LFS when I asked them said that light would be just fine for an anenome..they didn't try to sell me a metal hallide or anything else they said I was fine.

What is the rule of thumb for watts per gallon for keeping an anenome?

If the anenome wasn't getting enough light wouldn't he go further up instead of going behind/under rocks or are they just not that smart? He's been fine since October so I'm a bit confused with his behavior.

So you actually have 4 65 watt bulbs going? That`s a different story. Lighting technology has changed. There used to be a time when WPG was good to discuss and implement. But with todays lighting it`s a different story. Now with T5`s and MH`s intensity maters. I still use WPG but only as a broad or general guideline.

Thanks for the info. When I picked up the new bulbs I asked the LFS their thoughts and they said the bulbs were probably too old and needed replacing or there could be an issue with the water quality. But if all the other fish and corals were fine so far, it was probably the light.
We'll see, it's at my office on a timer so hopefully when I go in Monday morning I'll see him out and happy.

Sorry for the confusion on the total wattage of the lights. I thought the "night time" lights were more for looks to help bring out color and not actually do anything productive for the critters. Still doing a lot of learning and I appreciate the feedback.

I thought the "night time" lights were more for looks to help bring out color and not actually do anything productive for the critters.

You talking about the blue lights right? They are very important lights for corals IMO.

Yup, the blue lights.

An update though, put the lights in Friday afternoon and just got back in the office this morning and the anenome is still hiding behind some live rock and not getting any direct light where he's at. Is it best to just leave him be or move the rock and bring him out? Can anenome's just act weird like this sometimes?

I'm actually going to be out of town all next week and someone else in the office will be taking care of feeding and topping off the water. I'd hate for him to die and kill the entire tank while I'm gone.

1)...I add calcium/ph buffer every couple of weeks but I've done nothing different the last month than I have the previous 5....

So, you do monitor (test) regularly for Ca/Alk and pH since you are dosing, right? Red foot, purple tips is a very generic description, but is sounds like a condy.

Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Condy Anemone

It is not really normal for a anemone to 'hide'. The idea that your lights are the problem is kind of a tough one since it has removed itself from the light. What is your light cycle? That is, what time do your lights come on and what time do they go off? Typically an anemone that is not happy with its lighting, water flow or neighbors will 'wander', usually higher up on the reef if possible to make up for the lack of lighting. The anemone will move to a spot it finds more suitable to it's needs, not hide. No light and no food are a bad combination, I would look at what you are dosing, make sure alk or PH hasn't gotten too far out of range. I would also be curious as to it's neighbors, maybe something has started a 'chemical' war with the anemone. However, unless it is on a piece of rock that can be easily moved with out tearing the anemone, I personally would not advise attempting to move it. You may have to simply wait it out in hopes that what ever is bothering it will resolve itself. You could try re-adjusting water flow, cease dosing (unless proper testing dictates otherwise) and try a couple extra water changes, keeping a close eye on your SG.

Best of luck!

I test the PH regularly and it's very consistent at 8.2, LFS said no need to test Alk if I'm changing water once a week...

I don't think it's the condy Anenome. I know my description if vague but if he ever comes out I'll take a picture. The foot is a very vibrant red like the Condy in the link but the tentacles are a light purple and are not nearly as long. He's always been small and for the 6 months I've had him seemed quite happy on one of 2 places in the tank and wouldn't wonder until recently going under the rocks and not coming out. His neighbors on that rock were just 2 small feather dusters and other rock with CA on it. The other corals are on other areas of the tank, the fish always left him alone.

He's not actually attached to a rock, he's just under the rocks "sitting" on the sand bottom.

I'll move the position of the powerheads and see if that makes any difference.

I've read previously of people having an anenome disappear for a week or so and come out as two, that it would disappear when cloning itself. Is this a possibility?

Light cycle is 8hrs a day on a timer per the LFS recommendation, no outside light whatsoever reaches this room.

A photo is worth a thousand words. Any chance you could post a good shot of it? My vote on the cloning question is, I doubt its splitting. A split usually takes 8 - 10 hours give or take.

Camera phone isn't the best but here's a shot
anenome1.jpg

He's quite small here, look at the turbo snail shell next to him or the small clam. I took this yesterday, he later curled his tentacles in and all you could see was his foot and he was down to the size of a nickel maybe. Right now he's reinflated himself about 50% bigger than this picture shows.

Yesterday I moved the LR and moved him out from under it and he's stayed in this corner since. I tried feeding him again yesterday but he didn't take. Am going to try again this afternoon after my weekly water change.

Well, since I moved him out, he hasn't moved from a 5 square inch area. He wouldn't eat still so in a bit of a desperation attempt before I left for a week for vacation, I bought a new batch of silversides and he ate one! I'll be feeding him again today and see if he takes it as well. He's still very small and spends most of his time on his side and not sitting upright.

I would not force alot of food on him. He gets alot of what he needs from the lighting and water column.

Excellent news, silversides is a favorite among the nems. If you drop it into the tenticles and it 'sticks' it will take care of it from there. If it lets the food drop, then by all means don't try and force any food into its mouth. Eating is a great sign, I feed my 3 twice a week...You guessed it, silversides.

GL!

my anenome disappeared for a few weeks... and when i saw him again he had attached to a large hermit crab's shell and was cruising with him. haha

Back
Top Bottom