High Alkalinity and Low Calcium Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 10 gallon FOWLR tank that is currently cycling, but the cycling is nearly done. Ammonia reads 0 everyday, nitrites is 2 ppm, and nitrates is 160 ppm. I started testing calcium and alkalinity a few days ago, and it seems all out of whack.

Alkalinity has tested very high. it goes off the charts, which is 215+. Calcium, on the other hand, is extremely low, reading at 220. I've been adding calcium buffers but it hasn't done anything yet.

Question is, how do I balance out the alkalinity and calcium before the tank is done cycling so they can be at proper levels before adding the fish and invertebrates? I'm using Instant Ocean salt mix, if that helps. Any suggestions?

First off, dosing calcium will not correct the problem only add to it. Secondly, besides getting those levels to even out...why are you concerned about them in a FOWLR system? Those elements aren't absorbed to levels that would need monitored in a FOWLR system like they would be in a reef. Using RO/DI water with your instant ocean salt should give you everything you would ever need, and more, for a FOWLR setup.

After the cycle, do regular water changes with a decent salt mix and enjoy your tank. You aren't putting anything in it that warrants a calcium or alkalinity test. Look after ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph, stock reasonably, and have fun.

I wouldn't really worry about your parameters while you are cycling, but.......
I have to really question that calcium level. It's pretty much impossible for calcium to be that low. I use Instant Ocean and it mixes to around 400 ppm calcium. Your alk is a little over where it should be with IO, which is usually around 11 dKH. Your 215 ppm = 12.04 dKH.

What brand test kits are you using?

I've been using API test kits. Are you sure that ignoring calcium and alkalinity levels is a good idea? I plan on having invertebrates, some snails and shrimp. My research tells me that those levels are important. I'm worried about them now because the tank will be done cycling very very soon and I wasn't sure if introducing my stock to low calcium levels is a good idea.

I'd like to get better test kits but my LFS only sells API. Nevermind I'll look at the other pet store and see. The API didn't seem very accurate, the calcium test was always a little funny. :/ I'll try again when the cycling is done, but if calcium is still really low and alkalinity is still high, what do i do?

First off your calcium and alk are not low. Your saltmix sets the base line. And it will never change much with waterchanges and a fowlr system. Calcium and alk are reef tests. They will never drop in fowlr system as nothing uses it. The only think in your tank that may need a little calcium is your snails for shell growth however this calcium will be replaced with water changes and the snails will never use enough to warrant testing. Calcium and alk are reef based worries not fowlr.

As I said, your calcium test is questionable to say the least. Instant Ocean mixes to 400 ppm calcium. Now, for every 20ppm of calcium that is "lost", 2.7 dKH of alk MUST go with it. If you lost 200 ppm of calcium, then you must have lost 27 dKH of alk....which is impossible since there isn't that much alk to begin with. ;)

Okay yeah I'm pretty sure the calcium test is inaccurate. I'd get a different brand to test it, but do you think it's necessary? A lot of people have told me calcium doesn't matter for a FOWLR setup.

Bettafanatic said:
Okay yeah I'm pretty sure the calcium test is inaccurate. I'd get a different brand to test it, but do you think it's necessary? A lot of people have told me calcium doesn't matter for a FOWLR setup.

No calcium does not matter. You do not need another calcium test.

220 would be low for a reef tank but your not running a reef so it has no consequence.

Really? Great! That's a weight off my mind lol. What about alkalinity? Should I be testing that too or just pH and nitrates when the cycle is done?

Thanks for all your help. I'm new to saltwater, so all help is appreciated.

Just keep doing partial water changes and your parameters will stay right where you need them. Instant Ocean is a fine salt to use. I use it and this is the result. :)
fts_5-5-12.jpg

Wow! That is a gorgeous tank! I want something like that one day, but since I'm new to saltwater I'm starting with a small FOWLR tank. Just out of curiosity, what fish do you have in there?

So should I test alkalinity like once a month or so just to make sure or not at all? I'll be doing weekly water changes. I was thinking about 50% each week. Is that good or is even less a sufficient amount?

Thanks. I only have a few fish. A yellow tang, Atlantic blue tang, spotted bristletooth tang, Lamarck angel, mated pair of Clarkii clowns and a yellow watchman gogy.

If you do a 10%-20% water change every week you will be fine. Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch! it's a relief to know I was worrying over nothing. I'll post pictures once everyone is settled in the tank. It's not a very impressive setup, but it's okay :)

Back
Top Bottom