Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2003, 06:47 PM   #1

high alkalinity - problem?

My reef and fish tank just tested at 7 meq/l alkalinity...which apparently is high, but I don't know whether being high is a problem...most of what's talked about is dealing with low alkalinity.

I did notice my PH had dropped a little...it had been about 8.2 the last time I tested, and now is between 7.8-8.0

Calcium, using two different test kits, is between 360-400.

All other tests are excellent.

What would you suggest?
Old 08-31-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What is the Mg?
What salt mix are you using?

I would first suggest testing the levels on some newly mixed SW and see if that isn't your problems. If the water tests right...I would then recommend a series of 20%-30% water changes 2 per week for a couple of weeks.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:45 PM   #3

I use Red Sea salt.

I have been using the B-Ionic 2 part Calcium Buffer System, several times a week. One part says calcium the other part is alkalinity.

Should I stop using, or maybe reduce the alkalinity part by half?

I don't know what the magnesium is...please, I can't do any more tests...just give me a practical tip...I can't just keep testing and testing and getting more confused and frustrated.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:17 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
please, I can't do any more tests...just give me a practical tip...I can't just keep testing and testing and getting more confused and frustrated.
Ok, you need to do a couple more tests. Test the new water if the CA and ALK are in balance...start doing some water changes. If not, post back and we will take it from there.

Old 09-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #5

Reefrunner,

Thanks, but I can't keep doing more tests...they're driving me crazy, and no matter what the tests show, someone always disses whatever brand of test it is that they don't use, or says there's yet another test needed to complete the chemical picture.

If you can, Id appreciate just a practical, easy tip that I could try, recognizing that everything is experimental and maybe even a shot in the dark to some degree.

My tank and all inhabitants are really doing well, so I don't want to introduce a revolution or suddenly do a massive water change.

What I thought might work would be to stop using the alk part of the B-ionic calicum buffer system, and just use the calc part a couple of times a week....alternatively, just stop both parts for a while.

What do you think?
Old 09-01-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

If your not going to test, your only responsible alternative is frequent regular water changes. Choose a high quality salt mix like Kent, Instant Ocean, Tropic Marin etc...and do weekly 25% water changes, use no additives whatsoever. This may or may not work it will dpend on the CA and ALK demand on your system, you won't know that without testing.

Old 09-01-2003, 08:29 PM   #7

thanks...I do use what I understand is a high quality Red Sea salt...and I do regular water changes, although not quite as often and as sizable as you suggest.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Good luck with the Red Sea salt, it would not be my first choice, but there are very few things distributed by Red Sea Fish Pharm that I endorse/support

Old 09-01-2003, 10:03 PM   #9

I bet if you identify what would be your first choice, I could find comments from your peers or otherwise credentialed experts that criticize each and every one as well.

Let's try to keep things in some perspective!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Let's try to keep things in some perspective!
I told you it's not my first choice, I didn't say it was bad, I also told you I do not like it's manufacturers, kind of a "take this with a grain of salt" (pun intended) type thing.

Tags
alkalinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com