Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2004, 09:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

High Ca and High Alk and HIGH pH!

I did a water test today, and the alk was "High." It's a Red Sea test kit (I know, I know, I'm going to Salifert) so that's all it gave me was "High." The Ca is @ ~500ppm. The pH is 8.6 Is there anything dangerous about high alk and Ca levels? I know that pH is terribly high, so what should I do? The clam, star polyps, ricordia, xenia look fine, the fish look fine, but the bubble coral looks very unhappy. Please help!

125gal ... 4-5" DSB, 55gal sump, Berlin XL skimmer, over 200lbs. total LR.
Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - <2ppm

Bubble coral, Star Polyps, Deresa clam are main Ca consumers...deresa clam is still new. Thanks!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
steve-s

Depending on when you tested the pH, I don't see that much cause for concern unless tested earlier in the day. Did you test soon after any additions or water change?

The Ca is not at a dangerous level but I would suggest getting an alk test that gives you an actual number as apposed to a range. It makes it much easier to guage problems and for a reef set up I wouldn't rely on the Red Sea kit but as you said, you know .

If your salt mix tests with better numbers, I would suggest a few water changes if nothing else. In all honesty, I wouldn't be that concerned if only the bubble is a bit slumpish. Just be sure you don't dose anything until the chem eases back a bit.

FYI, star polyps do not deposit CaCO3. 8)

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wonder the accuracy of the test/reading ! what range is "HIGH" with that alk test kit?
ca @ 500 not way off imo 450 ideal
8.2-8.4 is ideal ph so 8.6 at the end of the not far off imo i guess ya tested not much sooner that 7:08 huh ? bet the reading might read 8.2 in the a.m.
nitrates could come down but not that bad
bubble coral could be having a bad day i guess hehe j/k
Old 07-05-2004, 10:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys. I dosed a bit of Ca the other day (Fri), because the level was dipping below 350. I'm in the process of designing my kalk drip. A fuge is also in the works.

The bubble is usually fully expanded. He didn't look so hot in the LFS, but I saw nothing really wrong with him. He's grown by about half in the month or so I've had him. He started acting funky when the Xenias went in. I don't think there's any chem warfare from the Xenias, but that's definitely the day it happened. Any thoughts? I'd hate to lose him. Thanks again!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 07-05-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansemacabre
I don't think there's any chem warfare from the Xenias, but that's definitely the day it happened. Any thoughts? I'd hate to lose him.
As far as chem warfare, Xenia's at the top of the list believe it or not. I would highly recommend running with carbon if you don't already. It will greatly ease the problem if there something in the water.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-05-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whoa, really? Didn't know that
How long will those crazy Xenias keep that up? If they consistently do so, should I run carbon all the time? Thanks for the info, man.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #7
steve-s

Depends on the exact species of Xenia you have but it won't hurt. There are many types of soft corals that will engage in chem warfare moreso than stonies.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, Steve! After adding the carbon into the overflow line, the bubble is back to 100% today! Fully inflated and happy. The Xenia is in my gallery: the typical brownish colored one. (Pulsing happily, by the way) Thanks for the info on the Xenia, I had no idea it was using chem warfare!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:21 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansemacabre
The Xenia is in my gallery: the typical brownish colored one.
I'll check my book when I get home unless someone beats me to it. Chances are you will still only end up with Xenia "sp". Although there are over 60 species of Xenia, one most often is hard to tell from the other unless under a microscope.

Cheers
Stve
Old 07-06-2004, 09:41 PM   #10
steve-s

Well the book was no help, sorry!

Cheers
Steve

Tags
high ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com