Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's kinda greenish brown slimy algae, is that what cyano is like? i'll try and get a pic of it. What test kits do you use for alk and mg? im having trouble finding many of them on the internet. the only mg test kit i could find is 23 dollars. If regular water changes keep it at the right level, is it really worth it? All this stuff kinda confuses me so thanks for all the help

Old 06-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=500&page=1

Theres a link to the picture of the algae, I havnt figured out how to get them in the post yet.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

you need test kits for what ever you use additives for... Alkalinity and calcium are the 2 that people use the most. Mg IMO is not needed but can be helpful, I have never tested for that.
Ca and alk should be checked on a regular basis if you have corals and what good coraline algae growth. the good test kits are not cheap and this is one area where you should not get cheap. I would pick up the ca and alk kits...
If your having cyno problems you should test for phosphates also.. If its slimy then its sounds like cyno. What type of water are you using, tap, ro/di?
Its hard to tell in the pic if its cyno or not..
slimy, easy to remove, has air bubbles that get traped in it, then its cyno..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

i'm using ro/di water. Form your description, it sound lke what i have is cyano. what brand of test kit do you use for alk?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Get the salifert kits for alk/ carbonate harness they also have a very good calcium kit as well.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...rt.asp?CartId=

I am in no way affiliated with marinedepot, they just provide an excellent service and i am VERY happy with all of their products i have got.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO salifert is a greal good kit... if your using cyno then you need to figure out where the excess nurtriants are coming from.. Do you feed a lot and what do you feed. You should have your water tested for phosphates..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just feed flake food. until the algae started appearing, i was probably over feeding just a little bit. Other than food, the only thing i have put in the tank is the aragamilk which i have alos stopped doing. A couple months ago, my sister brought some sea shells straight form the ocean for my tank. Her boyfreind, who also has a tank, thought that may be what caused the algae so i took them out. Could sea shells form the ocean have caused it?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kind of livestock did you have in there again ??

Usally if the fish are anything except a damsel they appreaciate a varied diet, this is a different conversation but im just pointing that fact out.

Lighting, the abundance of nutriets from the argamilk would probably cause some algae growth.

In the add for this stuff it says " no risk of overdose" hmm. It does contain calcium, carbonate buffer, and some other essentials. Just chill out on the stuff. Instead of following the directions on the bottle, test for your ca and alk levels, then see how much you need to change those numbers. Dont just dump it in.

Id say keep on the weekly 10-20% till your numbers come back down. Good luck
Old 06-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
what type of substrate is in the tank?

erm...forget the question, I just saw your post that said sand....
Old 06-18-2005, 12:11 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

The subtrate is live sand and lighting is 2 65 watt bulbs. I thought aragamilk was supposed to keep calcium, ph, and alkalinity at a balance, not just raise them, thats what i understood form the label anyways, so i dotn see how it could have made calcium go so high. Correct me if I'm wrong (i probably am), but i was told in a different post a while back that good alkalinity kept the ph buffering at the level it sshould be. My ph is perfectly fine now, so would that mean that my alkalinity is to? Does anyone know about the sea shells? Thanks for all the help

Tags
calcium, high calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Water | Lace Rock? »