Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I had asked about the substrate because people that use crushed coral usually have a higher calcium level....but you use sand. I do not think the shells you put in there had much time to change anything.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:36 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I use the aquarium pharmacuticals calcium test kit. So, for any of you who use the same kit, tell me if i am doing this wrong. I add ten drops of solution 2 and then shake it up in the test tube. then i add ten more and shake it up again. then i start going by twos. After the first two drops the top of the solution turns to the color shown on the insturctions. But, then i shake it up and it jsut turns kinda purplish. so, am i supposed to be shaking the solution or just looking at what color it changes to right as i add the drops? I know this is a dumb question but i jsut want to make sure i am not messign it up.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #23
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
I thought aragamilk was supposed to keep calcium, ph, and alkalinity at a balance, not just raise them
It will do both but only to a point. If you do not know what the starting point of your chemistry is along with the rate of depletion, you cannot know what to add. Balanced additives can only be used effectively when the chemistry is balanced before you start using them. They cannot be used in unison to correct chemistry imbalances unless added seperately. With the argamilk, it's an all in one much like klakwasser. So all levels are impacted equally. You also need to understand that the usage within the tank will not be balanced (kind of a kicker there) and the level will never remain balanced over the long run. More often than not in a properly controlled environment one side of the chemistry will only need tweeking occassionally. If you are not properly testing all aspects of the chemistry along with monitoring depletion, you quickly end up with problems.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (i probably am), but i was told in a different post a while back that good alkalinity kept the ph buffering at the level it sshould be. My ph is perfectly fine now, so would that mean that my alkalinity is to?
Alkalinity helps prevent drops in pH from excess acids produced within the system. Alkalinity and pH are very much linked but the level of alk does not directly dictate where the pH will settle. You can easily have an alk of 2-3 mEq/l with a pH of 8.2 or an alk of 4-4.5 and still have the same pH reading taken at the same time of day. Never rely on pH as a guage for alk or vise versa. You could easily damage the tanks ecosystem.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-18-2005, 01:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, thanks for the explination steve-s, I'm finally starting to understand this stuff. Nevermind about my post about if i was using the test kit correctly, i read the instructions more carefully, and found odt i was doing it right. i did a 25% water change yesterday and today and calcium is still high. Is there anything beside water changes that lower it? One moer question, is KH the same thing as alkalinity? Thanks again
Old 06-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #25
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
i did a 25% water change yesterday and today and calcium is still high. Is there anything beside water changes that lower it?
Not without knowing your alk. Your original post said you had a 520 ppm reading, what number value was it after the water change?

As soon as you get the alk test though, please post the reading of your tanks alk as well as your saltmix's alk/Ca.

Quote:
One moer question, is KH the same thing as alkalinity?
Yes but be wary of test kits that are sold as KH kits and not alkalinity. Bit of a peeve of mine but these usually end up being fairly innacurate or hard to be prescise, more commonly manufactured by FW companies. Also be sure the kit reports actual numbered values, not low/normal/high, that would be useless, especially with your problem.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey tbrock, after each drop, you need to shake the tube to disperse the color, and stop once its blue that matches the instructions.

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Calcium hastn changed at all since ive done the water changes, it is still 520. I'm using oceanic salt, do you think i should switch. It wouldnt be easy to switch salts becasue the only brand my fish store has is oceanic.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would high clacium levels be harmful to an anemone? I plan on getting an anemone once my levels are all right, I'm just wondering if it would be harmful at all. And after i get an alk test and know the alk, how woulld I change the calcium, or alk, then? by adding seperate additves?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO No way on the sea shell causing a algae issue.. If that was the case we could not have any hermits or snails or clams in the tank.. Why you ask because they all have sea shells.
The Ph can be fine and the ca and alk can be off you need test kits for them all and need to get a 2 part additive to help keep ca and alk in check. Unless you use kalkwas then that will do both.
how about the reading on your water?? Phosphate, nitrate... Test the water and you will help narrow the search for the problem down... IMO this is where you need to start..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your going in too many directions here... You have 2 issues right? High ca and cyno??
I posted way back that oceanic can run high in ca over 500... TEST your new salt water if its 500+ then all your doing is keeping the Ca up.. And IMO its not critical.
Have you tested for Alk yet??? You need to if you didn't. Ca and alk need to work together...
Cyno you need to test for PO4.
Anenone is way down the road... Do not even think about one right now. How old is your tank? IMO you should not even think about one until the tank is 8-9 months old with no issues. They are delicate creatures and need great water quality.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, high calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Water | Lace Rock? »