Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have tested clacium of my tank with two differetn test kits and both give the same results. As for the water, it was freshly made so i will wait a day or two and test again. The water changes i have doen latley have been with freshly made salt water also.... coul that be a problem? Or does the test kit just show inaccurate results when it is fresh? I just bought a phosphate test kit and they are at 0....this just keeps getting more complicated. My sister is going to wichita this weekend to take a test and she will pick me up an alk test there so i will be able to test that soon. I had my tank lights on for 3 hours today and hair algae is also now starting to grow, so i turned the lights off

Old 06-19-2005, 07:18 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

with fresh made water salt can take some time to disolve and the water chemistry can change. It is best to mix SW at least 24 hours before using it.
Just tested my week old water and the Ca was over 500.. I used some of a second syringe on the silafert kit so i would guess over 540.. So my 125 reef is low in Ca right now so when I do a WC this week it should(i hope) bring it back up to 450-500. This way I don't have to use additives to keep it up.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

So do you think my salt could actually bee making my calcium go up? If your calcium is high before the water goes in the tank and mine is too, Most peoples pobably is, and it seems to me that more people have trouble with low calcium than high.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok i got an alkalinity test kit. my water is at 5.5 meq/L (whatever that means). the instruction book says it should be between 2.5 and 5. So, both my clacium and alkalinity are high? what should i do next? Thanks again
Old 06-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oceanic salt has high Ca levels... Its the way its made?? So you either deal with the high levels or change salt mixes.
Not sure what 5.5 is on the chart? If the book says a hig of 5 and your 5.5 that is not that far off the chart. Like I said before 500 is not critical.
Most try to run Ca 380-450. Alk 9-11
Once your tank gets mature and you have corals and coraline algae growing your levels will drop.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

If i switch salts, do i just do it all at once? LIke for my next water change just use all different salt? What is alk measured in when you say 9-11? my instructions came with a chart of 5 different measurements, i didnt know which one to post on here.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #47
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
ok i got an alkalinity test kit. my water is at 5.5 meq/L (whatever that means). the instruction book says it should be between 2.5 and 5. So, both my clacium and alkalinity are high? what should i do next?
If that's your tank numbers, please post the saltmix numbers as well. As seaham358 pointed out, Oceanic is typically high on the Ca low to normal on the alk. This will help determine where the high numbers are coming from and possible solutions.

Quote:
If i switch salts, do i just do it all at once? LIke for my next water change just use all different salt?
If you make the desicion to switch, you should never use the old one as well. Start fresh with your newly chosen brand only. Use the old one to salt the walk in the winter

When transitioning salts, it must be done very very slowly. If you would normally do 10% weekly changes, do 5% instead. Keep going at the slower rate for a good 6-8 weeks and then slowly increase the amount until your back up to the normal routine. Each salt being different chemically both minor and trace elements, it allows the animals to transition without alot of stress. This is especially important if you have SPS or clams but still a good pratice otherwise.

Quote:
What is alk measured in when you say 9-11? my instructions came with a chart of 5 different measurements, i didnt know which one to post on here.
9-11 would be a measure of DKH. Post whichever value you are comfortable with, 5.5 mEq/l translates into 15.4 DKH (5.5 x 2.8 ). Personally I would never suggest keeping the alk above much more than 3ish mEq/l. There's little point ans does not directly benefit anything.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

When you say test the salt mix, do you mean make some fresh salt water and test it? Is there any way alkalinity can be lowered other than a water change? Could my salt also be raising my alkalinity?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, i just tested my water for alkalinity again, and now its 3.5. I tested at 11:00 last night and just now. So, unless there is something wrong with the test kit, or im doing something wrong, the alk dropped form 5.5 to 3.5 in 13 hours. I didnt do any thing to the tank, except add ten hermit crabs. Is this something that normaly happens?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #50
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
When you say test the salt mix, do you mean make some fresh salt water and test it?
Yes but let it mix/aerate for ¬Ĺ a day uncovered before taking any readings. Make sure temp and salinity match the main.

Quote:
Is there any way alkalinity can be lowered other than a water change?
None that I'm going to suggest here

Quote:
Could my salt also be raising my alkalinity?
If it's as high as the tank, yes. Im fairly sure the Argamilk's the issue though.

Quote:
Ok, i just tested my water for alkalinity again, and now its 3.5. I tested at 11:00 last night and just now. So, unless there is something wrong with the test kit, or im doing something wrong, the alk dropped form 5.5 to 3.5 in 13 hours. I didnt do any thing to the tank, except add ten hermit crabs. Is this something that normaly happens?
No offense but I'm tempted to think "operator error" in one of these results. Test it again and see which one it match's. If differnet again, test it twice. There's not much that will lower alk overnight like that 'cept a chemical. Whether that be directly from you or indirectly from the air (cleaners, rug powders etc..).

Cheers
Steve

Tags
calcium, high calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Water | Lace Rock? »