Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

i tested the water a couple more times and got 3.5 each time. I will make some saltwater and let it sit and then test it for calcium and alk.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:02 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist

I let some salt water sit uncovered for over 12 hours. calcium tested 540 and alkalinity 3.5.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats sounds normal for oceanic

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
thats sounds normal for oceanic
8O 8O
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #55
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
I let some salt water sit uncovered for over 12 hours. calcium tested 540 and alkalinity 3.5.
That's nasty chemistry. Normally I wouldn't suggest something like this but I wouldn't buy this brand again. High Ca is very hard to alter chemically and you already have a proper alk so there's little room for error. The only thing I can suggest is adding some baking soda (won't affect pH) to pump up the alk some (closer to but not over 4 mEq/l) and see what it does.

At least you know what's causing the problem

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Activist

I guess i know, but dont really understand. A lot of people use this salt, seaham said his calcium tested the same with fresh salt water and he has low calcium in his tank, how could that be? coral taking in alot of calcium? I will try to switch, but it wont be easy, the only salt i can get here is oceanic. What kind of salt do you use. Thanks for helping me find the problem.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 125 mature tank with corals, coraline algae so my ca and alk are being used daily. I have been using this salt for over a year and have not had any issues because of the salt. Many people I know use it and all have no problems. We are always looking for that salt mix that is perfect and we have yet to find it...
I know a LFS who mixes Oceanic and IO 50/50 to get the balance he likes for his corals.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #58
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
I guess i know, but dont really understand. A lot of people use this salt, seaham said his calcium tested the same with fresh salt water and he has low calcium in his tank, how could that be? coral taking in alot of calcium?
I would only be guessing without alot more info but heavy CaCO3 consumption would be a good guess, that or precip and heavy skimming. Keep in mind that a tank with some sort of draw of the chemistry plus most peoples water changes will only be a small percentage of the total water volume so the net change is not normally that much. If there is little CaCO3 use within the tank, repeated water change will eventually cause the reading in the tank to match the salt +/-

Quote:
I will try to switch, but it wont be easy, the only salt i can get here is oceanic. What kind of salt do you use. Thanks for helping me find the problem.
Anything that gets you closer to NSW values. Even if the salt is on the higher side, as long as it's balanced or can be tweeked before use to get a balanced chem. The salt you have now cannot be altered effectively. Personally I use Kent Marine but there are many available that you can work with once you know their limitations. Online shipping can be a bit pricey for freight but have you looked at different LFS's?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is only one fish store in my town that has salt water, but there is one that is an hour away that i could check. So your saying that some salt can be altered to balance the chemistry? How could that be done?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just tested the calcium in my tank again, its been about a week, and now its 560 8O I guess the water change yesterday to get rid of the rest of the cyano did it, guess that was a mistake.

Tags
calcium, high calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Water | Lace Rock? »