Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #71
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
Could high calcium have negative effects on corals, or even fish? I dont plan on getting any corals for a long time, just wondering what it would do.
High Ca will definately have a negative impact on corals and mobile inverts, fish not really. It will also impact the alk to a certain degree unless maintained chemically. As far as coralline affecting the Ca levels, you would need some serious growth to pull down from 540 ppm to a more NSW level. You really have nothing in the tank that's going to change the Ca much if at all. Given your tank chemistry tests pretty much match the salt specs to a "T", there is IMO, nothing using it.

Personally I don't think using this salt in the long run is beneficial at all. You can choose to use up what you have until it's gone but since you have purchased the new brand, I would do the swap as discussed and stick with it after that. The Oceanic is I believe, the root of your problems. You will only know for sure one way or the other once you disciontinue it's use.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to a bigger city next week and plan on getting some more live rock and a bigger bucket of instant ocean, all my lfs has is 5 gal boxes, and would like to get a cleaner shrimp. You said that high calcium could effect mobile inverts, so should i wait on the shrimp? And if i am going to be switching salts, will that be to stressful on it?

Old 07-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #73
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock
You said that high calcium could effect mobile inverts, so should i wait on the shrimp? And if i am going to be switching salts, will that be to stressful on it?
Other than the LR, I would hold off on any new additions until you've fixed the problem.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
calcium, high calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Water | Lace Rock? »