High KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just did a 25% pwc earlier today. I ran a complete test just to see where things are. Everything is doing well, ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ca 450 (a little high I think), pH 8.3. My KH is 160!!!!! Will that go down at all as the new water settles in or am I in trouble? I am trying to get some coraline to grow, so I added Ca to the water, could that be the cause?

160 ppm is actually not that high, it's only a tad outside NSW @ 3.2 mEq/l. The CA is definately a tad high but that also depends on your salinity. Stop adding the Ca and the level will ease back on it's own it time. A short time in that range is nothing to be concerned about.

BTW, try not to test the chemistry for at least a few hours after a water change or dosing. It can often lead to false readings. Post the tank specs tomorrow and see where your at.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, I was worried a bit. The test kit that I have says that sw should be between 105-125. My sg is 1.022. I did run the test about 8 hrs after changing the water. I will test again later today and post the results. On the positive side, when I was lookiing in my tank last night, I noticed some red things growing on the lr that wasn't there before. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I think it is finally some kind of caraline. I will post a pic when my new camera comes in the mail tomorrow!!

thanks again steve

haus said:
The test kit that I have says that sw should be between 105-125. My sg is 1.022.
The level for chemistry should be decided top down, ie.. salinity then the the rest of which your's is kinda low for keeping inverts. If you have a refractometer, target 35 ppt for the tanks salinity. If a swing arm hydrometer, shoot for 1.025 SG. Be sure you do this very very slowly though. Increase no more than 0.001/day (0.75 ppt).

Once you have a more reasonable reef salinity, alkalinity should be maintained somewhere about 125-150 ppm.

I will test again later today and post the results.
(y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom