High lighting? Moderate Flow? I'm confused!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I'm converting from FOWLR to Reef soon and have 2xT5 HO 24watts, 2xT8 20 watts, and 1200 gph in the tank (425gph+550gph powerheads and 200 gph return pump). The tank is a 30g. I have 40 times my volume in GPH (check!) and what I consider to be Moderate lighting (Check!).

When I look at coral profiles on the net (liveaquaria) they talk about low, moderate and high flow, and low, moderate and high lighting.

First, I thought flow was for rappers, and was wondering how to teach rhymes to coral (hahaha!), but tell me if I'm wrong :

low flow = in a very chill calm relax spot in my tank for rastafarian coral
high flow = with a powerhead directed straight to it
moderate flow = everywhere where a powerhead doesn't point directly and not at a boring spot.

For lighting, if I have moderate lighting and I know T5 dont reach the bottom like lets say...metal halides.

I guess I can't have coral with high lighting requirements. I could have some moderate to high if I place then on top, and moderate on bottom or middle section. Am I wrong?

I plan to have beginner soft corals (toadstool, colt, mushroom) and polyps. Maybe LPS later.

Thank you!

2 T5 bulbs are hardly moderate lighting. I'd say that would be on the order of low lighting, even with the T8s. T8s just don't give enough PAR to your tank. In a 30g tank, T5s reach the bottom just fine. Anything deeper than 30" or so, then that'd be another story.

You could get away with soft corals. Though the light you have now is not strong enough to support LPS IME\IMO.

You really want me to buy that second retrofit uh Rick? Fits for sure in my canopy. I'm doing my tax report tonight, and if i get a refund, I'll order the second one right now :p You convinced me!

I knew your name sounded familiar lol. Hope you'll be able to get the extra lights. Maybe others will chime in and give their opinion.

So with both retrofits (total : 4x24'' 24 watts), I'd be in business? I'll wait for the 1st to unit to arrive (next monday!) and see if I could also leave the T8s in there. I don't think so but if I can, why not? I could leave the T8s with both retrofits, but maybe. Ok....so 4 or 6 lamps to deal with now. Ok.

1st scenario : Both Retrofits Fit with the T8s
From Back to Front
1xT5 Blue
1xT8 Blue
1xT5 White
1xT5 White
1xT8 Purple
1xT5 White

2nd Scenario : Can't fit the T8s there
1xT5 Blue
1xT5 White
1xT5 Purple
1xT5 White

What do you think?

Better yet! 3rd Scenario: Fit 3 T5 retrofits

Blue
White
Purple
White
Blue
White

With that you could grow almost everything!

AquaRick said:
Better yet! 3rd Scenario: Fit 3 T5 retrofits

Blue
White
Purple
White
Blue
White

With that you could grow almost everything!

+1 I'm running 3 super blues 2 Fiji purples and a 14k white (36") and haven't had a problem growing anything in my tank even at 21" of depth but if you don't wanna go sps route then your 2 retrofits would do the job just fine but id do 2 blues 1 purple and 1 white if it were me..

Yeah but with the price of the retrofits, I'd better buy a new canopy, but my tank is non standard dimensions (31''*14''*16'') so no closed canopy availaible would fit. I could build a canopy, not too hard, I could give it a try. It would look better too, and my crafting skills can impress me sometimes. I want one that closes because of my 3 littles demon girls.

Then that's what you should do..build the canopy and cram as many lights in that bad boy throw a pc fan or 2 and your corals will thank you ;)

Yeah that's what i'll do : Install what I ordered, put a blue mushroom in there just to shut myself up. I'll build the **** canopy, it'll be awesome. Meanwhile, i'll order another retrofit and I will tell them "Yeah, I did the canopy myself. Nice uh?".

Post pics of your Canopy when you can. I'm huge on DIY and would love to see what you come up with.

Back
Top Bottom