High nitrate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isobel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have been doing all the regular water changes e.t.c, however my nitrate is extremley high about 80ppm. I've increased water changes to 25% each week and have been trying to get a few extra ones in between. I use RO water and my tank is low stocked.

I spoke to the LFS whom all have marine set-ups at home. The bloke said the only way to sort the problem out is to remove all the rock, use a gravel cleaner and stir the substrate so the filter can drag all the 'crap' out.

I walked out of the shop in a daze! My tank is several metres long and so deep I can only reach the bottem of the tank if I'm using a step ladder! Alright I'm not that tall, but is this really the only way? will I have to do this every year?! 8O

your tank does not contain that heavy of a bioload for its size. You mention "filter" what kind of filter do you have, what is the media in it and how often and how recently have you changed it? How deep is the substrate and what is the substrate? How much live rock do you have, if any?

My guess is alot of the problems are going to be in the filtration, but I will wait for your response.

Hara said:
your tank does not contain that heavy of a bioload for its size. You mention "filter" what kind of filter do you have, what is the media in it and how often and how recently have you changed it? How deep is the substrate and what is the substrate? How much live rock do you have, if any?

My guess is alot of the problems are going to be in the filtration, but I will wait for your response.
No expert but from previous posts in reference to high Nitrates if not solved with PWC then other culprits are substrate (CC) and filter media or device (under grave filter, Biowheels.. etc)

My tank is several metres long and so deep I can only reach the bottem of the tank if I'm using a step ladder!
LR and what hara said (filter, Substrate)
I am only referencing previous posts not personal knowledge... Maybe Brenden can chime in as he has a tank your size..

Good luck and keep us posted :)

I have an XP2 and an XP3, the media inside is what came with the filters, I did ask the bloke about adding a nitrate removing media, or changing it but he didn't seem to think it would help. I usually clean the filters every four months or so. The substrate is normal marine gravel at its deepest is about 3inches. I have four large peices of live rock, and the rest is growing red algae.

The media that came with the filters are bio-chem stars and ceramic rings. The substrate must be crushed coral as it's white, sorry I can't be more specific!

had heard from other posts here that CC can be a nitrate factory also
But I will defer to Brenden or an advisor on this due to the size of your tank.
CC i know has to be cleaned (vacuumed) every so often

ok, the biggest problem I see is that you are cleaning out the cannister filters every four months. Until you get the problem under control, I would be cleaning out the filters weekly. (just rinse the ceramic type medias in clean saltwater before putting them back in, but be sure to change out any floss and really clean any sponges you might have) Get a good gravel vac tool and shove it deep into the substrate to clean out the garbage when doing your water changes. Crushed coral and gravel are indeed nitrate factories.
hth

Thanks Hara, do you think it's necessary to pull out the rock and vac under them?

If you have just a couple pieces it wouldnt be a bad idea. I wouldnt tear down a tank to do it tho :)

I'll leave tearing down the tank as a last resort then :) I'll see what I can do with the gravel I can get to, and do the filters every week, and see what happens, fingers crossed!

Thanks to all for their advise :)

Thanks everyone for their advise, the nitrate is gradually going down it's now around 60ppm so ALMOST at a safe level, and I didn't remove any rock :)

Back
Top Bottom