High Nitrate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyMac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Guys, First time AA Poster here...

I have a new 33 gallon tank that has been cycling for about 2 1/2 months now... with 40 lbs of Live Rock, and a small cleaner crew of various Snails, and blue / red hermits...No fish.. my local fish store has said that the tank is fully cycled..but that my nitrate is through the roof.

2 days ago I did a 70 % water change in hopes of lowering the Nitrate levels... it kind of worked..but Im wondering what else I can do to help lower the nitrate? Thanks in advance!

At this stage of your tanks developement, there is little else you can do but water changes. NNR takes quite a while, many many months. Sometimes over a year depending on the setup. As far as the cycle, if ammonia and nitrite are no longer detectable, the cycle is complete.

What you are refering to is a complete nitrogen cycle. Technically speaking, enough facultative/anaerobic bateria form to consume the nitrate and leave nitrogen as a by product.

An interim "fixes" other than water changes is setting up an algal scrubber/refufgium. These algae when harvested after some growth will also remove the waste products with them Simpley growing them is not enough, they must also be removed.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom