High Nitrate Level .... please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomas21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I moved my tank about 4 months ago keeping all the water, rock, and sand. I recently checked my parameters and everything is up to par with the exception of my Nitrates. They are off the charts.. bright red from my kit which would indicate 90+ppm.

I have a CPR Bakpak with no media in it, Aquaclear 500 with no media in it, 60lbs live rock, and 50lbs cc. I sold my Puffer and Eel recently and only have 3 Chromis in the tank.

I'm planning on doing 20% water changes and cutting back on feeding but was wondering if there is anything else I can do to reduce my nitrates..... Like adding some media or something to the skimmer or aquaclear.

IME, the fastest way to reduce Nitrate is through water changes, and cutting back on feeding a little.

Mike

Has anyone tried a product called AZ-NO3 Nitrate Reducer

It may or may not work, but you're better off fixing the source of the problem rather than adding more chemicals to the tank. If nothing else it will save you money.

What are you using for your water changes, tap or RO/DI water? That can make a huge difference. Most tap water water contains high levels of nitrates and posphates. Also, cut way back on the feedings. Once every two or three days. Vac the CC as mentioned and look into getting more LR in the future. Nitrates are very hard to eliminate completely but you should be able to get them down to a more acceptable level. Good Luck...Lando

I'm getting my RO/DI from one of those vending machines outside Vons. I was going to test the water this week to see if that is the source of the problem. If it is where else do you recommend I get my water? My apt has no room for the RO/DI system.

I had the same problem with my tank also. Ive got a 50 gal tank with the aquaclear 500 with CC in it. Started using RO/DI water, I replaced the CC with LS, bought a skimmer, put in Phos-X filter media and did a 5 gal water change once a week. Now both my nitrate and nitrite levels are always in the 0 to .25 range. becareful if you decide to replace the CC with LS because you need to do it over time. yeah it got expensive but I am extremely happy with the results. just keep researching differant ideas on the site, and you too, will be happy with the results :lol: Good luck man

PiscesLou,
So do you have CC or LS in your aquaclear 500 now? Do you have any links on what I need to do to my aq500?

UPDATE:
I have started using the AZNO3 product and performing 20% water changes weekly. My Nitrates haven't reduced that much going into the 3rd week. I just discovered a rectangular mesh screen setup underneath my sand. It doesn't take up the whole bottom of the aquarium like typical plenum's. Its centered and takes about 3/4 of the bottom. Is this what is called a plenum? I bought this aquarium off the previous owner 2 years ago and never knew about it. When I bought the aqaurium he stated that there was a Nitrogen Reduction System in it but I never questioned him further. Is it possible that my nitrates are off the charts due to this??? Should I remove it???

Correction.. I have sand and no CC in this tank. Here is a current pic of the tank

[center:95092c6277]
692255Gallon.jpg
[/center:95092c6277]

How can I identify if my substrate is sand or crushed coral?
It doesn't look like crushed coral...

Well after taking out my live rock to remove what was underneath my sand I discovered it was a plenum.... It went the length of the tank with eggcrate, pvc piping, and screen mesh. I wonder if this would have contributed to my high nitrates...

seaham358 said:
Toss the CC and that other item.... Add 1-3" of sand and you and your fish will love it.

Should I remove the Aquaclear 500 ? The is no media in it as it is only moving water...

Back
Top Bottom