High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the baffles are there to stop any micro bubbles going back to the DT from the skimmer ,with the baffles as in the picture the bubbles could get dragged down with the flow as the flow is stronger at that narrow point compared with at the bottom of the tank.if you see what I mean,I still have the original fuge which has been running for about 18m I sold the new model to a friend and never changed it.

so tonight I am going to put 1 rock in some NSW and let it sit for a week and see if I have any nitrates in the water. That will tell me if my rock is leaching out the Nitrates.

Ok so i measured what used to be a 4"sand bed I would say that 3/4's of it is 3" now. Should I add an inch or 2?

I'll let one of the other more advanced answer that question... as with the live rock... Nitrates Should be coming from your rock...your rock changes ammonium/ammonia to nitrites to nitrates...

I have a mag drive 7 for a return pump in my sump running wide open. Could that be a problem with my nitrates? Is the water flow to much or rather not enough contact time with the skimmer? or does it even matter

Okay this is my opinion (so it doesn't mean much) in a natural environment the fish produce waste, bacteria change the waste into nitrates and then something needs to happen to the nitrates... plants and algae love them, so to prevent undesired algae blooms you can use a reactor/do frequent water changes to keep the nitrates down or you can have controlled plant/algae growth to remove nitrates... the homemade reactor looks good... but I believe that also having Chaeto or some other plant/algae in your sump/refuge is a good idea as well.

I actually have a handfull of chaeto behind my live rock in a corner, I have 10 Red mangroves, some Halimeda and some Ulva in the display tank.

Does it get much light... because most plants (chaeto being one of them) grow faster with lots of light... and the faster they grow the faster they consume Nitrates/Phosphates. Once they start to get bigger then you want you can trim it a bit and through out the trimmings... taking the Nitrates/Phosphates with it.

okay because some people say that having it in a tumbler or on the intake of the sump where water is very turbulent is a good thing.

The faster you can make the plants/algae you want to grow the slower the other plants/algae will grow... From start-up I plan on having 4 diff kinds of macro algae in my refuge and some in my top tank too... to be eaten by my tangs.

okay because some people say that having it in a tumbler or on the intake of the sump where water is very turbulent is a good thing.
The reason to have your chaeto tumble is to allow all sides access to the light. If not it grows so thick that the bottom side starts to turn white and release nitrates back into the water.

And very turbulent water will cause the chaeto to move side to side if not tumble some. Any movement will help light hit more of the chaeto. And that will help remove nitrates

Back
Top Bottom