Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

my sand bed is about 3" and been in the tank for about 4 years. I bet it is funny to see the bubbles catch a hermit crab. I see a bubble every now and then but not a lot of them. I only have like 1 or 2 hermits when I replaced my CUC i got all snails.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
I switched brands of Nitrate tests was using API and am trying Salifert now. With the API I was getting a reading of 10-15 now that I am using Salifert my readings are 20-25. Has anybody noticed that Salifert reads higher?
Are you reading the Salifert results through the side or from the top down. You should be reading it from the top down against the white portion of the color chart and if you can't determine the color view it through the side against the chart and divide the resulting color by 10. IMO the salifert test kits are much better than the API because they are much easier to read and more accurate but do cost a bit more.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
Are you reading the Salifert results through the side or from the top down. You should be reading it from the top down against the white portion of the color chart and if you can't determine the color view it through the side against the chart and divide the resulting color by 10. IMO the salifert test kits are much better than the API because they are much easier to read and more accurate but do cost a bit more.
I am indeed reading the results looking down from the top! Did my 20g water change yesterday and Nitrates are down to 5ppm. Doing another 20g Sunday. I am going to conitnue doing 20g water on Wed and Sunday till they are 0 and then I will probably do a few more. Then wait a week and see what the nitrates are.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

b...remember that until you find out what is causing your high nitrate problem that it will still come back.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
b...remember that until you find out what is causing your high nitrate problem that it will still come back.
Yeah I know! That part I am worried about. I know the Nitrates are not coming from my water I have tested the mix everytime I do a water change. What I have done to battle this problem was add about 8 macro Algaes to the tank, plus put 5 mangroves in my overflow. Doubled my rock from 50lbs to 100lbs added about 100 snails of various kinds, some sand for stirring sand and the rest clean up. I am not sure how to talkle the issue of how to figure out where the Nitrates are coming from at this point. Oh and I also replaced my two Maxi Jet 900's with 2 Hydor Karlia number 2's. All filters, pumps, skimmer has been cleaned all hoses have been replaced. What else can i do?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feeding is also a point you should be careful of. And remember you may not get to 0 and the idea is to get to a number that is stable and consistent.Our animals need a stable & consistant environment.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thank you for the help. I am feeding every 2 days frozen brine shrimp. I use a little aquarium water to thaw the shrimp then use a turkey baster to put a little bit of food in at a time. I wait watch and let them eat that then I will add a little more. I believe I am doing everything I can, but like I was saying I am not sure from here how to figure out where I might be getting nitrates from. I undestand I may never get to 0 but I would be fine if I could get them to stablize at 5ppm. They see,m to bounce between 5 and 15 one day I did have a spike to 25 but was back down after doing a water change.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

You seem to be doing everything correct. Be consistant and it should stablize. Good luck...
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks! I need the luck, started at 160ppm plus 2 months ago, I just wish they would stablize, getting frustrated!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

woohoo did a water change earlier today just did a nitrate test and nitrates are at 2ppm! will do another 20g on Wed!

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com