Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Then it might just be a balance issue and over time things will balance out again. I still say get something that likes the cayno
The snails I have I thought would eat it? I have Dwarf Cerith's, Florida Certiths, and Nerite snails. To be honest I really have no idea how many Dwarf's I have. I placed and order with Reefcleaners.org and bought like 50 and then I placed an order for some macro's that I have in my display tank and one of them he didn't have in stock and he sent me a handfull of them and some other stuff. I though about getting some hermits but they will just kill the snails

Old 04-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think 2-3ppm nitrates is great and you messing with it will only make it worst. Remember nothing good happens fast in a SW Tank. Give it some time........

Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just want the cyano gone and coraline algae to grow! I can't get it to grow! I have added some just will not grow!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #164
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just found a prettty bog section of sand bed that does not have any bubbles against the glass. What would cause that? Its about 8" that has no bubbles at all. Here is a bad pic I can get another one in the morning! If you cant see it? I also have some areas that are deeper than others. Seems that the deeper area is where I am getting more bubbles being released. Does this mean that in other areas I need to add sand?

Old 04-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #165
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sand needs anarobic areas to break down the NO3 into nitrogen. You won't be able to always get the proper depth so just let the areas that your deep enough do the converting. didn't you say that you had a bi-color pseudochormis? Mine keeps my sand pretty turned up along with my pistol shrimp.
If you just started seeing the bubbles then it is just starting to work. Give it time..
Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #166
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The bubbles have been there for a long time. I was just wondering if and how I can fix this spot in the tank?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add more sandstirring CUC's. Do not stir by hand...
Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If i add hermits they won't they just eat the snails? What do you suggest I add? I probably guessing have between 75-85 snails
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #169
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
If i add hermits they won't they just eat the snails? What do you suggest I add? I probably guessing have between 75-85 snails
It's a stand off. You just have to add more shells and hope for the best. Hermits will always eat snails and that's just a fact of life.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the problem with regular crabs? I'm asking cause I don't know and I think I want to put some it my tank... Saltwater aquarium crabs: Arrow , Emerald, Scarlet Hermit, Sallylightfoot, Blueleg, Porcelain, Decorator, Anemone, Horseshoe the "Pom Pom Crab" (Lybia tessellata) looks cool. As well as a few others. Also if you decide you want to get hermit crabs I would suggest these guys. "Scarlet Hermit Crabs are very hardy and requires minimal care in a well-established system. They have a voracious appetite for detritus and are particularly fond of filamentous, hair, and slime algae, as well as the dreaded cyanobacteria." .... I know you would some of your snails but if you can't handle the cyanobacteria then I would consider them... and maybe get some larger snails that wouldn't be as threatened.... also if they have enough to eat then they might not kill your snails as much.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com