Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the Halimeda is growing like a weed. The Chaeto was not tumbling at all just kinda hanging out. I took a light diffuser(egg crate) and put it in my overflow and put the chaeto in there so it is tumpling now and getting more light.

on a britter side my pulsing xenia one of the branches has grab onto another rock and has begun to split

Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

my skimmer cup after 24 hours. Cleaned it last night and when I got home this is what I had. Like this about every night. The oceanrunner 2700 is a lot better on the Turboflotor 1000 than thr Rio 2100. If it keeps pulling like this I hope the nitrates eventually will hit 0

Old 05-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Cleaned a small area of the sand bed Thursday night. Just got home and that area is alerady covered in cyano! what gives? should I keep doing big water changes? or just wait and see what happens? Phosphates are reading 0 nitrates are reading 2-5ppm. I have tested the make up water, I have tested my RO/DI water. What else can I do? I have put in 2 phosban reactors one with phosban and one with de-nitrate. I just don't know where to go from here?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I don't know where to go from here... I've said all I know.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

its gonna piss me off and I am gonna try the vodka, or sugar dose method. LOL! I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!! The funny thing is my Pulsing Xenia is starting to split to 2 other rocks.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have a deep sand bed right? Hydrogen sulfide can cause cyano blooms... and a DSB can produce H2S. Also activated carbon is high in phosphates. Another more umm... alternative approach would be to remove all the cayno that is in the tank and get a form of blue/green algae (also a type of cayno) that is free floating and can be consumed by more of your zooplankton and seed that into your tank... but the blue/green cayno can make your whole tank greenish in color if there is enough nutrients so this my not work it's just an idea I had while doing research.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Dkh 8.6
Nitrates 2ppm
Phosphates 0
Calcium 580
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Mag 1320
SG 1.024
Temp 79
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your #'s are within a good range, Cal a little high , so I thing with good tank maintenence you should be okay and not beat yourself in the head so much that you don't enjoy your tank. You
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see over at the Seachem forum that you're adding some of their bottled bacteria at every water change. Did you have a cyano issue before starting that?

If I remember right, in the beginning when your nitrates where through the roof, you were adding some type of "clean up" bacteria to your tank? You stopped adding the stuff - and did a bunch of other stuff too, granted - and your nitrate issues starting coming under control. My suggestion then was to just lay off the quick fix stuff and let your tank settle down. Maybe I missed something in this thread, but it seems like your tank was doing fine, but now all of a sudden you're adding/changing a fair amount of stuff all at once. (Think you just changed salt, too?) Just my 2 cents worth as usual, but I'd just slow down, take a deep breath, and let your tank mature on its own.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com