Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #221
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So this is the plan! I am not going to add anything. I am going to do 10g water changes on Mon and Thurs of each week at that time I will blow off rocks and syphon sand layer with algae. The only adjustment I am going to make is now that I think about it. Both of my powerheads are point towards the sand. Even thow they are close enough to the surface of the water to cause ripples I am going to move one down and point it up to the surface. Maybe that way the nutrients will be blown into the overflows and down to the skimmer? So I will have the one in the left corner on the back glass pointed down towards the middle and the powerhead on the right will be pointed up towards the middle. I might put a 3rd one in place of the rio 600 on the back glass pointed behind the live rock?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #222
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am going to step it up a notch and show you all my algae with some pics and a video. See if you have any suggestions. I think its 3 different types of algaes. What would you do and/or change? I have done nothing to tank tonight except add top off water.

YouTube - algae video.3GP

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #223
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your algae really doesnt look that bad to me. If that is it, id really settle down and wait for some of the suggested methods to work rather than adding stability and deNitrate and all that. Enjoy the tank some! I was under the impression that your tank looked like a jungle.

That coral near the end startled me, as it looked like a hand in there.

Matt
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #224
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks to me as if you can remove a few of those rocks when you do a PWC and scrub them in the waste water and return them to your DT.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I thought the samething after I looked at the video, LOL! The algae to me is bad and a lot not all of that algae was cleaned up Thursday night. The glass in the front was cleaned last night. The algae doesnt look that bad cause it is working me to death, LOL the overflow in the back was taken out and scrubbed thursday night. I did put some chaeto in there with a piece of egg crate to keep it from getting sucked into the sump. I should have put a pick of the macro that is covered with algae. As far as the 2 reactors that are running one for nitrates and one for phosphates. Phosban media cleaned out after 2 weeks. The clear hose from each pump has a little algae in it but the hoses coming out do not. Maybe this is a plus.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Looks to me as if you can remove a few of those rocks when you do a PWC and scrub them in the waste water and return them to your DT.
Yeah I could do that to some this weekend. Since I am home this weekend I might do the water change on Sunday since i will have more time for cledaning of sand, glass and rock
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #227
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

think I might add some hermits this weekend too. Just have snails in there. Should I add anything else for a cleanup crew along withe the hermits? Was thinking of adding like 15 Red legged and like 10 Blue legged. How does that sound?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #228
AA Team Emeritus

If you add hermits your snail population is sure to dwindle.
Putting the power heads lower and pointed to the surface is a good idea. The intake will pull from the substrate giving you some additonal flow there.

Are your test kits dated? If not and you have had them for more than a year you should consider getting some new test kits. Ammonia, and nitrite really shoud be at 0, with nitrates under 40 (under 5 for reef).

I recently got the Hanna handheld phosphate colorimeter and now have an accurate picture of my phosphate level.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #229
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am going to make some changes to the powerheads tomorrow night when I do my 10g water change. I thought about it last night and I am not going with hermits just more snails. All my test kits are less than 6 months old. New phosphate test kit was just bought. I have been looking at the Hanna's they would be nice to have. I think they have one for phosphates and nitrates?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #230
AA Team Emeritus

I have the Hanna Phosphate meter. The Nitrate is announced, but I don't believe it's shipping yet. The nitrIte meter is out.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com