Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #241
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The skimmer is fed by a Rio 800 and it has a Oceanrunner 2700 for circ. The denitrate is set up on a drip. I was actually thinking of it more like a cooling system in a car. The longer the antifreeze stays in the radiator the cooler it gets before the theromstat opens and switches what's in the motor with what's in the radiator. The longer the 10g in the sump stays in sump the cleaner it gets from skimmer and the more of it runs thru the reactors before being pushed back to display tank. At 500gph is a lot of turn over rate in the sump. Right now I have a Mag Drive 7 and 3 Hydor 2's for circulating on a 55g tank. That's a lot of flow. If I got a Mag Drive 5 that would run at about 300gph so the water in the sump would be in the sump longer and get cleaner. Just kinda brainstorming.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

On a good note the one Pulsing Xenia I had is now 3 Pulsing Xenia's

Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #243
AA Team Emeritus

Less flow in the tank = more time for detritus to settle in the tank instead of being sent to the sump where the skimmer can remove it or kept in suspension where the skimmer can get it on the next pass...

I prefer more flow. Better for the tank overall and especially for corals.

You may be overthinking the issue. Don't forget the Occam's Razor principle.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #244
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Xenia is loving all the food that is in the water column... algae feeds micro organisms that feed the Xenia... also your logic is off a bit.. think of it like a cooling system in a car... if the motor is running hot the thermostats stay open, because the radiator cools the hot faster then it would if it was trying to only let a little water through... the temp of the water would be colder when entering the motor but the motor would heat up too much while waiting for the cold water... running the hot water through helps to keep the water cool and brings the whole system down as low as it can go and keeps it stable... you want your skimmer and de*nitate to be in contact with the dirtiest water available in your system so they can take a larger portion of the waste out. What I'm saying is high turnover in the sump/tank is a good thing. the de*nitrate works on a separate pump and should be done at its proper flow rate... the water coming out of your de*nitrate should be almost nitrate free... if it is you can increase the flow a little bit wait 24 hours then increase it again, continue to do so till you see nitrate coming out the you back it down to the previous setting... (if you can adjust it like that... also a little nitrate coming out isn't bad because it means that the last of your media still got some contact time with nitrate... thinking more about it I would probably have a little nitrate coming out of the de*nitrate)
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #245
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
The more I think about it the more I believe part of my problem is my high sump turnover rate. I have Mag Drive 7 running wide open. I think at the end of these 3 weeks if there is no difference in nitrates and algae I am going to replace the Mag 7 with a Mag 5 and put a ball valve in to allow more contact time with the skimmer and the de*nitrate reactor. Just seems to make sense that its easier to clean the water at a slower flow rate. Does that make sense to anybody else or am I just over thinking this problem?
Instead of replacing the mag 7 with a mag 5, just put a T in your return line after the pump and have a valve on one side of the T and return that side to your sump. That way you will not put any restriction on your pump and your sump will have more contact with the water as part of it would be the recycing of the return water.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #246
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

10g water change is done. Tests are done pics of Phosphates and Nitrates

Phosphates 0
Nitrates 1ppm
Calcium 600
KH/Alk 8.6 3.09
Mag 1260
PH 8.3
SG 1.023
Temp 79

Phosphates

Nitrates

Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #247
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alk and cal are a little high...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #248
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Calcium is a little high, but Alk is actually about dead on some people run alk as high as 13-16
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #249
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry PH
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #250
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Instead of replacing the mag 7 with a mag 5, just put a T in your return line after the pump and have a valve on one side of the T and return that side to your sump. That way you will not put any restriction on your pump and your sump will have more contact with the water as part of it would be the recycing of the return water.

The Mag 7 needs to be replaced anyway. Think the seals are going in the back of it.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com