Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #281
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL bavass we are a little OCD about our tanks. I think your rock is fine if you where having a problem with ammonia I might question your rock but since its high nitrates I would think that your cycle is working. BUT if it will make you feel better IMO adding the rubble rock to the sump wont hurt anything AS LONG AS ITS FULLY CURED.

AND do you have a DSB in your tank or sump? Ive read that it will convert the nitrates to nitrogen gas wich bubbles up and out of your tank.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #282
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I actually just added a pic of the rock from back in Nov to the post

Old 05-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #283
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

OMG what happened to my tank over the weekend? I did a 10g water change on Thursday like I have been doing for awhile. The sand, rock and glass is covered with algae. If you look at the pic there is a sheet of algae standing up, waving and laughing in the flow. I did change out my 2 week old SeaGel Carbon. Cleaned some of the algae up. Dont have any water made up doing that tonight for the water change tomorrow. Now what? This is killing me. How can I be patient with this? My whole tank looks like this. The only thing that has been added since I did the water change Thursday was top of RO/DI water.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #284
AA Team Emeritus

DEEP BREATHS, Try to calm down. Looks like an outbreak of cyano. Not a good thing and can be troublesome to get rid of.
1 Cut back on feeding. Cyano like most problems comes from too many nutirents in the tank.

2 Siphon out as much as can from the substrate when you do a PWC.

3 Try to get some additional flow on the substrate in those areas. A little bit of flow will help alot.

Quoting an old Lando post:
"Basically, it is the result of too much
nutrients in the water. Ussually it is a PO4 issue. The first step should be getting a PO4 test kit and testing both your aquarium water and the water you do top-offs and changes with (source water).
What is your souce water?
You have two goals here...
1) to identify and eliminate the souce of cycno and
2) get rid of the exsisitng cyno from your tank
You should begin doing water changes using high quality RO/DI water. You can try to vaccum up as much of the cyno as you can. Be careful not to break it up too much as it can spread. Check the age of your bulbs, as they get older they loose some spectrum and this can be a cause. Evalute your feeding and lighting schedules. Cut back on both. Add more flow to your tank. Cyno tends to get a hold in places of little or no water movement. Adding one or two more PH will help this. Chemi-! clean by Boyd Enterprises, INC is a great product. It will remove any exsisitng cyno from your tank but it will NOT keep it from coming back.
This is why it is so important to identify the cause of your outbreak. "

FYI, I used the Boyd's prodcut a few years ago. It will make the skimmer go nuts, so you need to shut that down for a bit if you use it.

Best bet is to find the source and eliminate it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cmor1701d you didn't read the whole post before posting did you?
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #286
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I feed every third day. I only use RO/DI water it tested 0 for nitrates, phosphates and TDS. I have a Mag Drive 7 main return pump, 2 hydor 2's on a wavemaker a 3rd running all the time across the back glass. The Cyano is standing up and flapping in the flow. I have a Phosban Reactor running was running SeaGel in it but changed that out and went back to phosban yesterday. The light fixture I have is only 2-3 months old. I don't understand where it is coming from. I did order 15lbs of rubble rock to put in sump after it cures.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #287
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I should also add that when I feed I use frozen food most of the time I do have pellet food if I am in a hurry. They get a pinch. When I use the Frozen food, Mysis, and Brine shrimp I use a glass with a coffee filter and run RO/DI over the food to thaw and let the water run thru the filter to wash off phosphates.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #288
AA Team Emeritus

You are correct in that I did not go back and re-read the entire post. But this post is now 29 pages long.

Get some Boyd's to help cure the cyano for now. Re-read my post. If there is adequate flow then cyano canNOT establish a foothold. Siphon out as much as you can. Then add the Boyd's.

Stop making any other changes that could affect water chemistry.

Do you have detectable PO4 or is it low enough that the algae is consuming it?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #289
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am making no changes the only thing I am doing is water changes. My PO4 is 0. Will it hurt anything to add more snails to CUC?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #290
AA Team Emeritus

Adding snails won't hurt and may help.

Good luck. I know how frustrating this can get.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com