Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #291
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
You are correct in that I did not go back and re-read the entire post. But this post is now 29 pages long.

Get some Boyd's to help cure the cyano for now. Re-read my post. If there is adequate flow then cyano canNOT establish a foothold. Siphon out as much as you can. Then add the Boyd's.

Stop making any other changes that could affect water chemistry.

Do you have detectable PO4 or is it low enough that the algae is consuming it?
I was looking at the Boyds. I see it requires a air pump I only have a small air pump that I use when mixing my water. I wonder if it would be ok to just run the skimmer wide open with the collection cup off just for the air and run the small air pump? I hate to buy a $25 air pump to use once.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #292
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Adding snails won't hurt and may help.

Good luck. I know how frustrating this can get.

yes very frustrating didnt know if I should cry, puke or both when I got home last night. Got drunk instead, LOL! Thank god for bourbon

Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #293
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am suspecting his RO/DI water and the TDS meter might have an issue. SOMETHING is feeding the algae in that tank. Maybe bad batch of salt? I do believe phosphates are what feed cyano, no? I think you ought to pull out all your contraptions and try things on a much more basic scale. I had the cyano thing too, and its been gone for 6 months now. I dont have anything more than a fluval 305 filter with clearmax in it, as well as some chaeto in the DT. Something in that tank isnt doing what its supposed to be doing. I suspect its one of your different toys.

This tank is going to go down in history for its imfamy alright...I will keep you in my prayers. I know how irritating it is! I have my own problem with scratches! They just appear on my acrylic tank! Dont see them happening, just notice them when I get close. Seems like a monster waits for me to go to bed and I wake up to find that crap. Makes me want to cry too!

Matt
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #294
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I assume you are talking about the 2 reactors when you say toys? I just changed the media in the phosphate reactor. The reactor that has the de*nitrate in it has been cut off for a little over a to grow bacteria in then I will cut it back on with a slow drip. I never could get the bacteria to establish in it to were the nitrates stayed lower coming out of it. The new salt water mis always tests 0 for nitrates and phosphates. I test the RO/DI water every time I start to make new water. TDS meter is brand new only a week old. The water always tests 0 for nitrates, phosphates, TDS, and silicates.I think its one of two problems my rock just is not doing what it should. More snails should be here Wed to help clean and improve that. Second is the skimmer just is not doing what it should.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #295
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh and I did order 15lbs of rock rubble from Marcorocks to add to sump but that has to cure first so figure what 6 weeks before I can add that
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #296
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Question? should I keep up with the 10g water changes or do like a 20g tonight?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #297
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
I am suspecting his RO/DI water and the TDS meter might have an issue. SOMETHING is feeding the algae in that tank. Maybe bad batch of salt? I do believe phosphates are what feed cyano, no? I think you ought to pull out all your contraptions and try things on a much more basic scale. I had the cyano thing too, and its been gone for 6 months now. I dont have anything more than a fluval 305 filter with clearmax in it, as well as some chaeto in the DT. Something in that tank isnt doing what its supposed to be doing. I suspect its one of your different toys.

This tank is going to go down in history for its imfamy alright...I will keep you in my prayers. I know how irritating it is! I have my own problem with scratches! They just appear on my acrylic tank! Dont see them happening, just notice them when I get close. Seems like a monster waits for me to go to bed and I wake up to find that crap. Makes me want to cry too!

Matt
Sorry meant to say thanks man, LOL! Yeah when I have something that is screwed up it really is!!!!! But, hopefully with everybodies help we will work it out and I will oneday sit back and enjoy the tank.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #298
Aquarium Advice Addict

" I know how irritating it is! I have my own problem with scratches! They just appear on my acrylic tank!"
Two things come to mind when you say scratches happening at night.
1) you have a "SEA URCHIN" and it comes out after lights out. They can scratch the heck out of an acrylic tank.
2) you have some "LIMPET SNAILS", They two can play heck with an acrylic tank.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #299
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok did my water change took a powerhead to the rocks cleaned them off good. I found alot of crap that had built up behind the skimmer in my sump so I stirred that up then did a 15g water change. I also took the reactors out of the sump and hung them on the side and placed a rio 800 in the sump blowing across the bottom and behind the skimmer to keep stuff stirred up. I almost put my extra Hydro 2 in the sump that will keep it moving, LOL!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #300
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

just did a silicate test on my RO/DI water and Silicates are at 2ppm coming out of it last night they were at 0 ran the test again tonight they are at 2ppm did the test twice tonight. Must have had a bad test result last night

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com