Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #311
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wed test results

Nitrate 8ppm
Calcium 440
Mag 1230
SG 1.023
KH 7
Phosphate 0
temp 79.8

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #312
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well nitrates is a sign that the algae isn't eating it all. Did you get your snails?

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #313
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Well nitrates is a sign that the algae isn't eating it all. Did you get your snails?
It could also be a sign that the Nitrate is being produced faster than the algae can eat it, LOL! Yeah I added 12 Large Nerite and 12 Florida Cerith had about 8 of each and about 75 dwarf ceriths. Also got 15lbs of rubble rock today that is curing in the rubbermaid container
Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #314
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right on. I'm watching closely because I'm sure I'm going to have lots of problems with my tank when I get it going... Trying to learn all I can while I wait.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #315
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Np! Thats alot of the reason I have kept this going for so long and why I am trying to keep it so detailed. I am trying to learn and help someone else learn if they have the same problem!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #316
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

O2 levels in tank are 2 instead of atleast 7
Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #317
AA Team Emeritus

I don't really see an issue with your nitrate reading. Lower is always better for corals, but below 10 is tolerable.

When I used Boyd's I did not add an airstone. I just kept the surface agitation up for good gas exchange. You must shut down the skimmer for 24 hours. It will still go nuts when you turn it back on.

Any change in the algea problem/growth?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #318
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I found a mistake I made in my O2 test it actually reads 6 still would like it a little higher before I start using Boyd's. I have an extra pump so even tho I probably don't need it I am going to drop it in anyway i think. Also I will be gone all weekend and have a new DI cartridge coming for my RO/DI on Tuesday so I think i am going to wait till next weekend to use the Boyd's when I am home. As far as the algea problem it has not gotten any worse but has not gotten any better either. I have a few corals in the tank and to be honest the big issue I have with the nitrates is the algae. I will say this too I have worked my but off on these nitrates and it would be nice to see a 0 reading just once, LOL! I would be happy if the algae is gone and the nitrates get no higher than 2-5ppm. I want 0
Old 05-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #319
AA Team Emeritus

I just got my nitrates back down to 2 (from 50+)and PO4 down to .03 (from .22). I did ~25 gallon PWC's for 4 straight days then a follow up 15 and I have another 25 ready to go tomorrow, That in a 125, so basically it was a close to a 100% PWC over a few days.

My DI is now starting to be depleted as I'm getting a TDS reading of 2, so I'll replace the resin before the next fill.

Have you tried daily PWC's yet of 20% -25%. That combined with siphoning the cyano might get you pretty close to where you want to be.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #320
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
I just got my nitrates back down to 2 (from 50+)and PO4 down to .03 (from .22). I did ~25 gallon PWC's for 4 straight days then a follow up 15 and I have another 25 ready to go tomorrow, That in a 125, so basically it was a close to a 100% PWC over a few days.

My DI is now starting to be depleted as I'm getting a TDS reading of 2, so I'll replace the resin before the next fill.

Have you tried daily PWC's yet of 20% -25%. That combined with siphoning the cyano might get you pretty close to where you want to be.
If my nitrates hit 50 i would have a heart attack and slam my tank to the ground, LOL! I am that frustrated. I was doing a 50% water change every other day for awhile my nitrates were 160+ at one time.

My TDS is is still saying 0 but I have a silicate reading of 2 coming out of mine. So I am replacing the DI cartridge. I think I am also going to replace my RO membrane as mine is a 100gpd and from what I have been reading the 75gpd takes out 8% more junk from your water. 100gpd is rated at 90% and the 75gpd is rated at 97%-98%. That will also help my DI last longer. I have started doing 15g water changes twice a week since the algae bloom. I am hoping that once this new DI cartridge gets here Tuesday that the algae will go away as the silicates are removed. I think I am going to do a big 25g water change on Thursday of next week. I will get DI Tues make water Tues and Wed night run my airstones in the 5 jugs and then do water change on Thursday. If that does not help well the Chemi-Clean will.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com