Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #321
AA Team Emeritus

I switched my 100gpd membrane to a 150. The 150 has a 98% rejection rate and I am getting much better performance.

Remember to waste the first 3 - 4 gallons when you put the new membrane and DI in.

How are you making your PWC water/mix?
Are you using a heater and a small power head to mix?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #322
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
I switched my 100gpd membrane to a 150. The 150 has a 98% rejection rate and I am getting much better performance.

Remember to waste the first 3 - 4 gallons when you put the new membrane and DI in.

How are you making your PWC water/mix?
Are you using a heater and a small power head to mix?

I might have to look into that instead of going down to 75gpd.

I run my for 20-30min when I replace the DI.

When I make my PWC water/mix I use the 5 gallon plastic jugs that are for water fountains. So I cant use a heater or a powerhead. My temps stay pretty constant and I use a airpump and wooden air stones for 24-48 hours before doing the pwc.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #323
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
So I added the clean up crew some sand stiring snails. 3 hours later nitrates are up to 15 ppm! Could that just be nitrates coming out of the sand from the snails digging around?
cuc wont decrease nitrates and as they eat algae they will be releasing stored nitrates so they are more likely to do the opposite. The newly available nutrients can either be dealt with a competing algae like chaeto/turf algae scrubber/caulerpa etc.. or water changes and the like.
johnmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #324
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaloney View Post
cuc wont decrease nitrates and as they eat algae they will be releasing stored nitrates so they are more likely to do the opposite. The newly available nutrients can either be dealt with a competing algae like chaeto/turf algae scrubber/caulerpa etc.. or water changes and the like.
It came back down after a day or two
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #325
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
I run my for 20-30min when I replace the DI.

When I make my PWC water/mix I use the 5 gallon plastic jugs that are for water fountains. So I cant use a heater or a powerhead. My temps stay pretty constant and I use a airpump and wooden air stones for 24-48 hours before doing the pwc.
OK, so under ideal conditions a 75gpd membrane will produce ~3 gallons/hour. The 150g[d membrane would do about 6.25 gallons/hour. To waste the first 3 - 5 gallons you need to run it for over an hour when replacing the membrane.

How are you mixing the salt in the bucket. Is your PWC water temp the same as the tank temp?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #326
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
OK, so under ideal conditions a 75gpd membrane will produce ~3 gallons/hour. The 150g[d membrane would do about 6.25 gallons/hour. To waste the first 3 - 5 gallons you need to run it for over an hour when replacing the membrane.

How are you mixing the salt in the bucket. Is your PWC water temp the same as the tank temp?

I was looking at the 150gpd membrane at Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Products and answers for your water treatment needs. I think I am going to order it. As far as the PWC the temp is usually within a degree or two of my tank. I fill the jugs with RO/DI, add salt and put an airstone in it and let it turn the water over for 24-48 hours.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #327
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.

How's the algea problems? Still have cyano?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #328
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Question does Cyano grow in water flow?

I say yes unless this is not enough flow? This was not there on Thursday after a 15g water change when I left home for the weekend. So this has grown since Thursday!

YouTube - algae flow.3GP
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #329
AA Team Emeritus

None of it was there, or just the sand part?
That's a pretty serious case. I would use the Boy's to get it under control, then work on eliminating it. It will tale several treatments to rid the tank of that cyano.
What bulbs are you using over your tank and how long are they on each day?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #330
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

None was on the macros there was some on the sand which I cleaned on Thursday when I did the water change. I added 4 1/2 spoon fulls of Boyds tonight. You say it will probably take a few treatments. When should I cut the skimmer back on? After 24 hours then cut it off for 24 hours when I do the second treatment?
Here is a link to the light fixture I bought in Feb Nova Extreme Pro HO T5. The Actinic Blues run for 12 hours and the 10k run for 10 hours. The Blues come on at 9am the 10k's come on at 10am and cut off at 8pm and then the Blues cut off at 9pm. At that point the 2 blue LED's come on for moonlight.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com