Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #331
Aquarium Advice Addict

The red cayno feeds on yellow and blue light... green algae feeds on red light... brown algae feeds mostly on blue

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #332
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, keep the skimmer off for 24 - 48 hours after each treatment.

Cut your lighting back to no more than 3 hours/day for the rest of the week. That may help a bit.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #333
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Yes, keep the skimmer off for 24 - 48 hours after each treatment.

Cut your lighting back to no more than 3 hours/day for the rest of the week. That may help a bit.
what about corals?

I did clean a lot of the algae out tonight before I added the Boyds
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #334
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I noticed some detritus on the underside of my rock even though I have been using a powerhead when I do water changes. Would I hurt anything if I took each piece of live rock out in a bucket of tank water when I do a water change and scrub them with a toothbrush? Or should I do a few pieces each water change? Could be part of my nitrate problem
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #335
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So I ran a little test while I was gone over the weekend! The clear blue plastic 5g water jugs from water fountains that I use for my water changes. I tested the water gowing into one of the jugs Thursday when I was making top off water for my roommate to add while I was gone. The TDS reading was "0" today the TDS reading of the water in the jug is 177!!!! Sounds like the plastic is leaching? These jugs were cleaned with vinegar with in the last few weeks. I am now trying a bleach mixture in one to see if I can get the TDS down. If not guess I am buying a Rubbermaid grey Brute trash can since they are the only ones that are atleast USDA approved. So should have less leaching
Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #336
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow thats good to know, never would have guessed it!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #337
AA Team Emeritus

I'm a bit shocked that those jusg are leaching anything, Maybe the sw mix is caustic to that plastic and started breaking ti down. I've been using a 45g BRUTE for top off water since 2006. I check my tds in that 2x/year. If it gets to 5 the next time it's due for a fill I rinse it our and scrub ti down. Good as new.

The corals can take reduced lighting for a week. Even in the equatorial waters of the pacific there is the occasional week long sqall that reduces sunlight.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #338
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
I'm a bit shocked that those jusg are leaching anything, Maybe the sw mix is caustic to that plastic and started breaking ti down. I've been using a 45g BRUTE for top off water since 2006. I check my tds in that 2x/year. If it gets to 5 the next time it's due for a fill I rinse it our and scrub ti down. Good as new.

The corals can take reduced lighting for a week. Even in the equatorial waters of the pacific there is the occasional week long sqall that reduces sunlight.
yep I am probably going the brute route as well. What are you using to clean it? I have been using the jugs for god knows how many years> Hard for me to belive aswell but something is creating TDS of 177 one of the jugs was 248. We will see what cleaning with 10:1 Bleach and water does. Will add water and test tds tomorrow night when I get home
Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #339
AA Team Emeritus

I just rinse with hot water to remove the bacterial slime that builds up over a year. Yes, even in total darkeness in 0 tds water, bacteria will find something to live on <g>.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #340
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am also shocked that the jugs are leaching something! I use them as well, but never thought they could leach something as they are food grade items. It has been said that plastic water bottles seem to leach something dangerous so I guess it is possible!

Whats a good alternative? I like them because they let me shake the you know what out of the water to really mix the salt well! I can then cap it to keep it clean and simply shake well whenI plan to use it. (Get the 02 exchange going)

Rubbermaid, eh? Wouldnt that leach something as well?
Matt

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com