Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #371
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hope the root canal I had wed will help then, LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #372
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

for the last 2 weeks I have been taking a turkey baster and a tooth brush to rocks and cleaning them off a little at a time. I have also added a filter for about 2 hours when I blow the rock off and behind the rock. Looks like I am finally getting where I wanna be, Nitrates are coming down getting closer to zero. Algae has not come back other than the little but that forms on the glass.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #373
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to hear that you are finally getting somewhere with it.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #374
AA Team Emeritus

Wow, I didn't think this thread would ever come to an end. Looks like you finally have it under control.
CONGRATUALTIONS!

The NP-Biopellets have kept the NO3 under 2 (nearly undetecable). PO4 has come down a little, but I haven't been able to test it for a couple of weeks. New reagent just came in so this weekend I'll either add GFO and Carbon, or not!
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #375
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

still blowing rocks with turkey baster, nitrates are steady at 2ppm, doing 5g water changes twice a week still, keeping Alk at 11, calcium at 480, mag 1440, ph 8.3 seems like there is no end to getting rid of detritus under control. I know if I can get that to an end i would have 0! I wonder if I should add some hermits was trying to go with just snails but they just dont seem to clean the rock of detritus I blow it off every night.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #376
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

here is my latestes update...MY NITRATES ARE ZERO! I ended up using the Vodka and MB7 dosing and my nitrates are finally at 0. YAY!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #377
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats! It was a long road! Did you ever try the bio-pellets. There are newer ones on the market that are even smaller, giving them a larger surface area. Less of the portential sticking problem.

My nitrates are consistently under 2 and look just like your photo above. I call that as a 1 - 2 range instead of 0 as looking from the side I can see a tinge of pink.

My phosphates (PO4) have been consistently under 2 also, usually in the .06 - .08 range.

Good luck keeping them down. Stay vigilant. And again CONGRATULATIONS on sticking with this till you got there.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #378
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grats man
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #379
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow....its so long....good for me as a newbie here....congratulation bavass....
Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #380
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Congrats! It was a long road! Did you ever try the bio-pellets. There are newer ones on the market that are even smaller, giving them a larger surface area. Less of the portential sticking problem.

My nitrates are consistently under 2 and look just like your photo above. I call that as a 1 - 2 range instead of 0 as looking from the side I can see a tinge of pink.

My phosphates (PO4) have been consistently under 2 also, usually in the .06 - .08 range.

Good luck keeping them down. Stay vigilant. And again CONGRATULATIONS on sticking with this till you got there.
I did not try the bio-pellets. I used Seachem De*Nitrate in a phosban reactor, vodka dosing, and Brightwells MB7.

From, the side its just as clear as it is from the top. I have been unable to detect phosphates. I did lose my Diamond Goby while at the beach I will get another one.

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com