High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
still holding at 5-12ppm. Starting to get really frustrating. However new clean up crew from reefcleaners.com will be here Wed!

So I added the clean up crew some sand stiring snails. 3 hours later nitrates are up to 15 ppm! Could that just be nitrates coming out of the sand from the snails digging around?

OMG! Went to the VT vs NC State game this weekend got home today Nitrates are over 20ppm! WHAT THE H&^? I added a clean up crew Thursday! The only other thing I have done was not add any BioClean for 2 weeks. I guess I should add some more? What is going on? What should my next step be? I did add a few Macro Algaes to the tank, not enough to reduce but hoping they will grow to do so!

I switched brands of Nitrate tests was using API and am trying Salifert now. With the API I was getting a reading of 10-15 now that I am using Salifert my readings are 20-25. Has anybody noticed that Salifert reads higher?

I have not used Salifert so I can't help you there. I guess you would notice a slight increase in nitrate after adding the CUC as they break down DOC to a lesser toxic nitrate. Do another PWC and watch how much you feed.

I am feeding about every 3 days a little at a time let them eat everything then I will add a little more and so on. I did a 15g water change on Sunday and I am going to do a 20g tomorrow. I think I am going to conitinue that pattern till the Nitrates are 0. Gonna do 20g on Sunday and 20g on either Wed or Thursday evey week till 0

I have been using a DSB for about 1 1/2 years now and after the first 6 months my nitrates have been undetectable. All I see is bubbles of nitrogen coming out of the sand as the hermit crab walks over the sand. Sometimes the nitrogen goes up into the hermits shell and he has to walk tip-toe untill the bubble finds it's way out of his shell. Very funny ;)

my sand bed is about 3" and been in the tank for about 4 years. I bet it is funny to see the bubbles catch a hermit crab. I see a bubble every now and then but not a lot of them. I only have like 1 or 2 hermits when I replaced my CUC i got all snails.

I switched brands of Nitrate tests was using API and am trying Salifert now. With the API I was getting a reading of 10-15 now that I am using Salifert my readings are 20-25. Has anybody noticed that Salifert reads higher?

Are you reading the Salifert results through the side or from the top down. You should be reading it from the top down against the white portion of the color chart and if you can't determine the color view it through the side against the chart and divide the resulting color by 10. IMO the salifert test kits are much better than the API because they are much easier to read and more accurate but do cost a bit more.

Are you reading the Salifert results through the side or from the top down. You should be reading it from the top down against the white portion of the color chart and if you can't determine the color view it through the side against the chart and divide the resulting color by 10. IMO the salifert test kits are much better than the API because they are much easier to read and more accurate but do cost a bit more.

I am indeed reading the results looking down from the top! Did my 20g water change yesterday and Nitrates are down to 5ppm. Doing another 20g Sunday. I am going to conitnue doing 20g water on Wed and Sunday till they are 0 and then I will probably do a few more. Then wait a week and see what the nitrates are.

b...remember that until you find out what is causing your high nitrate problem that it will still come back.

b...remember that until you find out what is causing your high nitrate problem that it will still come back.

Yeah I know! That part I am worried about. I know the Nitrates are not coming from my water I have tested the mix everytime I do a water change. What I have done to battle this problem was add about 8 macro Algaes to the tank, plus put 5 mangroves in my overflow. Doubled my rock from 50lbs to 100lbs added about 100 snails of various kinds, some sand for stirring sand and the rest clean up. I am not sure how to talkle the issue of how to figure out where the Nitrates are coming from at this point. Oh and I also replaced my two Maxi Jet 900's with 2 Hydor Karlia number 2's. All filters, pumps, skimmer has been cleaned all hoses have been replaced. What else can i do?

Feeding is also a point you should be careful of. And remember you may not get to 0 and the idea is to get to a number that is stable and consistent.Our animals need a stable & consistant environment.

Thank you for the help. I am feeding every 2 days frozen brine shrimp. I use a little aquarium water to thaw the shrimp then use a turkey baster to put a little bit of food in at a time. I wait watch and let them eat that then I will add a little more. I believe I am doing everything I can, but like I was saying I am not sure from here how to figure out where I might be getting nitrates from. I undestand I may never get to 0 but I would be fine if I could get them to stablize at 5ppm. They see,m to bounce between 5 and 15 one day I did have a spike to 25 but was back down after doing a water change.

You seem to be doing everything correct. Be consistant and it should stablize. Good luck...

Thanks! I need the luck, started at 160ppm plus 2 months ago, I just wish they would stablize, getting frustrated!

woohoo did a water change earlier today just did a nitrate test and nitrates are at 2ppm! will do another 20g on Wed!

Back
Top Bottom