High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might be some good news I have bubbles coming up from my sand bed! Please, be good please be good and be what I think it is, LOL!

yep thats what I was hoping for but as I spent some time looking at the area it was mostly coming from I noticed a thin layre of cyano :( i really just want to cry, LOL!

Look in my sand on the edge of my glass where my Hermit crab is walking. You will see bubbles in the sand and bubbles being released by the hermit and floating up and being blown away by my current. That is nitrogen bubbles.
img_1100623_0_85651266bdd789f2fa8b6b3703a10861.jpg

Well installed a Phosban Reactor tonight with 150g of Phosban measured the water flow out to 1 cup per 12 seconds which equals to about 20g an hour. Hope fully some of the cyano will start to go away. Might order another one to put De-Nitrate in!

Look in my sand on the edge of my glass where my Hermit crab is walking. You will see bubbles in the sand and bubbles being released by the hermit and floating up and being blown away by my current. That is nitrogen bubbles.
img_1100830_0_85651266bdd789f2fa8b6b3703a10861.jpg

Yeah mine looks the same between the sand and glass. I am not sure that I see much leaving the sand. I see some on the right side of my tank but I also have some algae growing on the sand and it has bubbles on it. Hopefully the Reactors I am getting will bring down the Phosphates and Nitrates that are reading 0 Phos and 2ppm Nitrates at the moment.

If you check out this link and look at the left side. At the 6-8 sec mark you will see a bubble I am getting 5-6 of these every 1-2 sec. However you can see the cyano on the sand towards the rock. I will put a updated video on here in a bit if anybody wants to see.

sorry I need your password and your credit card number too! hahaa

I'm interest on ornamental fish industry and like to know more details about it. I want to know how long does Guppy, Mollie & Platy fry takes to grow up

Nice video... What is your Question? let us know what you know and we can try to help you from there. Those are nice nitrogen bubbles in your sand.

Nice video... What is your Question? let us know what you know and we can try to help you from there. Those are nice nitrogen bubbles in your sand.

Anything anybody sees that I could do differently in the tank? I hate that i have nitrogen bubbles which means the SB is doing its job yet I obviously have Nitrates and/or phosphates that i can't test because the algae is eating them faster. I did install a Phosban Reactor Wed. night and just ordered another one to fill with Seachem DeNirtate hoping they will help.

It looks like your sand is working as fast as it can.... you either need more rock or some plants or to have less livestock... because your system is out of balance... do you have a refugium?

It looks like your sand is working as fast as it can.... you either need more rock or some plants or to have less livestock... because your system is out of balance... do you have a refugium?

I have 100lbs of rock, 60 lbs was live rock been in tank for years 40lbs was reef rock that was put in back in Nov or Oct 2009. I have 4 fish in the tank 2 Green Chromis, Bicolor Pseudo, a maroon clown about 75 snails and a serpent starfish. I had Nitrate levels of 160ppm for a long time and now that I have gotten them to bounce between 2-5ppm I think my rock is leeching it out after soaking it up for so long. I think that is what is causing my Cyano. So I bought a Phosban reactor and got some phosban even though Phosphates are reading 0 and I have another Phosban Reactor that will be here Monday or Tuesday that I am going to fill 3/4 way with Seachem's De-Nitrate. The plan is to fill it with tank water and some bactreria cut it off and let it sit for a week, let the bacteria multiply and then cut it on to a slow steady drip of about a drip a second. I like Seachem sorry! I donot have a fuge wish I had the room. I am thinking of getting about 40lbs more reef rock and break it up and slowly add it to my sump.

Then it might just be a balance issue and over time things will balance out again. I still say get something that likes the cayno

Back
Top Bottom