Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

High nitrate question....help!

I have a 55g tank that has been up and running for awhile a few years. I have 55lbs of live rock. 2 powerheads in tank, turbofloater 1000 skimmer, mag drive 7.5 in sump for return, Rena Xp2 canister filter with activated carbon, phosphazorb and the standard filters all is replaced every 30 days. 2 small pumps in sump for circulation. The only thing I still have living in the tank is a star fish. Was trying to get nitrates under control before adding anything. My nitrates are off the charts. I was doing some reading and it might be beacuse I have about 4 inches of sand. Was thinking of taking out about 3 inches of sand and leaving just about 1 inch of sand. Then there is less sand for oragnics to be trapped in and be easier to clean. Should I do that or should I remove all the sand and put new in? Water changes are not helping. I have been doing about 20g a week for months almost a year now and still no drop in nitrates. Does anybody know if this will help? Was also thinking of buying some Reef Rock and adding that and make some more live rock about 50lbs is what i was thinking of adding rather than adding live rock for 3 times the price. I also use a tap water purifier when doing water changes.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using tap water or RO/DI? If you're using tap I would stop and get an RO/DI unit. Also test your tap for nitrates, you would be surprised what's in there that aren't good for your tank.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I would not remove the sandbed just yet. As usual, what are your water parameters? Do you use a gravel vacuum? Do you feed, how much? Do you add any buffers/additives, how much? You mention the only thing STILL living is a seastar, which makes it sounds like your previous livestock has continually died off? What kind of test kits are you using? How old are your test kits?
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
I would not remove the sandbed just yet. As usual, what are your water parameters? Do you use a gravel vacuum? Do you feed, how much? Do you add any buffers/additives, how much? You mention the only thing STILL living is a seastar, which makes it sounds like your previous livestock has continually died off? What kind of test kits are you using? How old are your test kits?

I use a Tapwater Purifier Deionizer Unit replace the cartridge every 3 months or about every 125g worth of water changes. All other parameters are in line. I have not removed any sand yet. I was thinking of upgrading my Rio 2100 that is on my Turboflotor 1000 with the Oceanrunner 2700 and buying a new feed pump for the skimmer. Maybe a bigger one, I am currently using a Rio 600 was thinking of going to the MJ1200?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would go with an RO/DI unit or at least a RO unit. A tap water purifier does not get everything you need to get out of tap water. You can get a RO/DI for just over a hundred dollars on ebay.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

update Nitrates are down to 20ppm
Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

So what did you end up doing to get it down?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I did a 40% water change every 3-4 days using a vaccum in a different small area of the tank each time. I also replaced my cartridge in my tap water purifier. Pulled the canister filter out. Started adding Prodibio Bioclean. Sprayed the live rock down with powerhead. Cleaned Turboflotor skimmer. Replaced my two Maxijet 900's in tank with 2 Hydor Koralia 2's which they actually just got here yesterday, but I am hoping that improving the flow in aquarium will bring down more. I will say it is harder to get the nitrates to drop from 20 than from 160+. But I will keep doing water changes probably do a big water change every week from here instead of every 3-4 days. I also think I am going to buy a scavanger crew to help clean up the hard to reach areas and sift the sand. I think I am going to order the package from ReefScavengers.Com | Saltwater Aquarium Supply | Cleaner Packages, Saltwater Fish, Corals & More!! see what you think of it. I will be getting the 55g package. Hope that will also help bring the nitrates down more.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some pics of my work in prgress

I am trying get this tank up and running correctly. Nitrates have gone from 160+ down to 20ppm. Should be able to click on image for a larger view.

Skimmer

Sump

Attached Images

Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How about making a batch of SW for a PWC and do some water test results before you add it to the tank. We can make sure you are not adding it to the tank. Everything else looks good.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
high nitrate, nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com