High nitrate Soultions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found out today that I had been testing nitrate with the wrong test I just found my tank level to be way high Like between 65 and 80 ppm yikes!! I just did a PWC 10 % and am doing another tomorrow of 10% from the first PWC I reduced the nitrate to about 50 ppm I have two cleaner shrimps and a couple of other inverts you guys think I should buy some filter media or just keep PWC'n and cut back feeding?

Ammonia 0
SWG 1.025
Nitrite 0 - 0.25 ppm
Phosphate 2.0 ppm (yikes)
PH 8.4

What size tank is this? Protein skimming, larger water changes (25%+) bi-weekly, and using macroalgaes will help to export PO4 and reduce nitrates along with limiting food input (flake especially).

Its a 49 g bow front I just bought a HOB trickle I converted in to a HOB fuge that i'm gonna put some cheato etc in to to prevent this again. I also have a skimmer and when the fuge goes in I will have two skimmers I am just maturing the fuge mud I bought before I add it on so I dont FUBAR the system levels more.. Have you ever had any luck with any media? i feel as if media is just a bandaid though..

You posted this a while back...

Thanks for the help guys I think I isolated the problem to poisoning from soap or something being absorbed by my open salt bag in the kitchen everything is better now and I just completed my PWC with different bucket and different salt lost one the others pulled through

If your salt wasn't sealed up air tight, it could have absorbed all sorts of stuff that may be testing as nitrates. I wouldn't rule out the fact that you're still seeing the results from this bad bag of salt.

As long as the PWC water is the same temp/salinity as your tank water, I wouldn't see a problem doing 25% water changes every 3 days or so until those nitrates get down to below 5 or so. Then go back to your normal routine and see if they come back. With only a couple cleaner shrimp and some inverts, you have no real bioload and even if you overfeed the shrimp I think you'd have trouble getting nitrates that high.

Massive water changes should bring those phosphates down too.

Thanks Kurt maybe yer right about that ill just keep up with the PWC

Back
Top Bottom