High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 29 gallon reef tank that I started about 4 months ago. My nitrates are very high. Been changing water weekly. Cleaned filter and I still have high nitrates. Any suggestions how to get them down? Already lost some corals. And how often can I change the water?

Have a 6 stage RO/DI system.
30 lb live rock
30 lb live sand
Fluval 305 canister filter
2 powerheads
Coralife protein skimmer. Good up to 100 gallons.
2 ocellated clownfish
1 six line wrasse
2 blue/green chromis
1 pajama cardinal
1 black and gold damsel

Have a 29 gallon reef tank that I started about 4 months ago. My nitrates are very high. Been changing water weekly. Cleaned filter and I still have high nitrates. Any suggestions how to get them down? Already lost some corals. And how often can I change the water?

Have a 6 stage RO/DI system.
30 lb live rock
30 lb live sand
Fluval 305 canister filter
2 powerheads
Coralife protein skimmer. Good up to 100 gallons.
2 ocellated clownfish
1 six line wrasse
2 blue/green chromis
1 pajama cardinal
1 black and gold damsel
I can't see anything your doing wrong. how high are your nitrates

It's good that you have a decent skimmer, that's helping, and you could be overfeeding, contributing to the issue, but I believe the root of your problem is the fact that you have 7 fish in a 29 gallon reef.... that's quite a bioload. On top of that, you're using a canister filter. Doesn't really matter how much you clean it... it's still converting 7 fish's worth of waste into nitrates.

Sounds like you have 2 options... get rid of the canister and a few fish, or be prepared to do larger pwc's more often to prevent further coral loss.

I had 5 fish in my first sw tank which was a 29g. I also started it with just a hang on back filter and eventually going to a canister. I consistently held at 0 nitrates. It can be done. :)

My question would be also how much and how often are you feeding? And for ha'ha's have you ever tested the ro/di water for nitrates? You never know....

This is 7 fish in 29g. You are overstocked my friend. No other way to fix this besides removing atleast 2-3 fish. Remember these fish grow the more they grow the bigger the bioload.

Im maxed out at 4 fish in my 29g reef. If i added one more fish, i would have a major problem.

Thats a lot of fish in 4 months, i am not sure if the biological filter has had enough time to get established that quick. I feel like i am pushing my bioload with 7 in a 55g with a oversized skimmer. When i had high nitrates a did 40% water changes every 3rd day till they were down

Nitrates are around 80. I feed them every two days. I moved the rest of my corals to my 75 gallon reef tank. So I won't be feeding much now that it's fish only. I was feeding quarter cube of brine shrimp and coral food. I do have some new growth on the live rock but they are very small and don't seem to be effected.

Based on what fish I have in the 29 gallon, which fish do you think I should move to my 75 gallon? I know I can't move the clownfish. I did have a domino damsel in there that I moved. He was a little terror in there.

If you need to move , the chromis can be moved without worry , there super nice fish.

For the time being, I would move the 2 chromis, the cardinal, and the damsel. 3 fish in the nano should let you (and your system) get caught up. Once you get your nitrates under control, maybe move the cardinal back in. Don't know about the B&G damsel, however.... even though a lot of sites say "min 30g tank", they can get upwards of 5" long, which is a bit big for a 29g, IMO.

Phranque said:
For the time being, I would move the 2 chromis, the cardinal, and the damsel. 3 fish in the nano should let you (and your system) get caught up. Once you get your nitrates under control, maybe move the cardinal back in. Don't know about the B&G damsel, however.... even though a lot of sites say "min 30g tank", they can get upwards of 5" long, which is a bit big for a 29g, IMO.

I agree.

When I move the fish to my larger tank, will I need to acclimate them to that tank since my parameters are correct?

:banghead:

dlsrks said:
When I move the fish to my larger tank, will I need to acclimate them to that tank since my parameters are correct?

:banghead:

You need to acclimate them with any change in water. So yes.

Thanks for all the info. I will start moving the fish tomorrow and check my nitrates in a couple days to see how it's doing.

Back
Top Bottom