High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billyblu1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 300 L salt water reef tank, had it going about 6 months(with no problems), had a fresh water tank before. About a month ago we had a new carpet laid so had to move my tank, since then I can't get a balance with anything, I've tryed prime, water changes every other day and now I'm adding red sea biological nitrate and phosphate reducer also says on box, no3 : po4-x as recommend by my local salt water fish shop south west marines, with not much success, anyone have any ideas of what I can do I no why the problem started but can't se to end it. Luckily I haven't lost any fish yet but I no it's just a matter of time,
Thanks

Need more info on your inhabitants and water parameter to help analyze the problem. How high is nitrate? Did you completely replace the water after moving the tank?

Need more info on your inhabitants and water parameter to help analyze the problem. How high is nitrate? Did you completely replace the water after moving the tank?

I ended up having to do about a 50/ water change after the move
My nitrate is reading as high as the test is going and my phosphate was reading at 5 in the first week but now is at 0.1 I can't give u any other readings because I haven't got the tests,
I have all soft corals and 2 bubble tips some clowns, blue green cromeses ,tangs ,fire fish and standard clean up crew ill be going down the shop in the next fue days so will be able to give full new test results on everything soon but hope this helps for now
Thanks

While you are there you should really pick up some liquid test kits of your own so you can monitor your water. How long has the tank been up again? What is your maintenance schedule?

While you are there you should really pick up some liquid test kits of your own so you can monitor your water. How long has the tank been up again? What is your maintenance schedule?

Since January 2nd,

All inhabitants contribute to your bioload. Cucs also need food to survive. Even corals excrete waste. It means it needs diligence to physically remove byproducts such as nitrates.

All inhabitants contribute to your bioload. Cucs also need food to survive. Even corals excrete waste. It means it needs diligence to physically remove byproducts such as nitrates.

I try to remove as much as I can are you saying I need more clean up crew?
Also it was fine befor the move

How often do you change the filter? Stuff will build up in there rapidly and it will become a nitrate factory if it is not removed on a regular basis. By regular, we are talking weekly, possibly even every few days.

CUC still adds to the bioload. Fish put out waste...CUC eats waste...CUC puts out waste...you still have waste at the end of the equation. Waste equals nitrates. Its usually better filtration or better maintenance of that filtration that ends up lowering levels.

Back
Top Bottom