Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
BLUEaquarium06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 677
I'm going to be moving everything to a new tank hopefully in the first week of April, and I do have a couple hermits. I'll do another water change tomorrow and then go back to my normal schedule on Friday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
BLUEaquarium06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
How is adding more bioload to a tank with Nitrate issues going to solve anything?

Sand skimming is all that's required.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Cucs will consume detritus and uneaten food which contributes to cycling process. You are not adding bioload but just cleaning up the leftovers. Saves you time and effort by not disturbing your sandbed which causes nitrate.
__________________

__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #23
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Cucs will consume detritus and uneaten food which contributes to cycling process. You are not adding bioload but just cleaning up the leftovers. Saves you time and effort by not disturbing your sandbed which causes nitrate.
One creature's poop gets eaten doesn't just magically disappear. A CUC isn't a solution towards these issues, proper tank management however is.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
One creature's poop gets eaten doesn't just magically disappear. A CUC isn't a solution towards these issues, proper tank management however is.
The purpose of having cucs is to avoid disturbing the substrate that can cause nitrate. It's not the only solution but just one of them.
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
The purpose of having cucs is to avoid disturbing the substrate that can cause nitrate. It's not the only solution but just one of them.

Forget about the substrate.

The Nitrate is already there, adding animals which will produce more Nitrate is very backwards.

It is a lot easier to just manage the tank yourself.

Also, adding anything to a tank when the Nitrates are sitting at 40ppm can be very detrimental to its health.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Forget about the substrate.

The Nitrate is already there, adding animals which will produce more Nitrate is very backwards.

It is a lot easier to just manage the tank yourself.

Also, adding anything to a tank when the Nitrates are sitting at 40ppm can be very detrimental to its health.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Anaerobic bacteria resides underneath the substrate that consumes nitrates. You are managing your tank with CUCS which the OP already has. The suggestion is to put some if there is none. Are you saying you don't have cucs in your tank?
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Anaerobic bacteria resides underneath the substrate that consumes nitrates. You are managing your tank with CUCS which the OP already has. The suggestion is to put some if there is none. Are you saying you don't have cucs in your tank?

I have 2 hermits and 1 snail in a 10G.

The hermits because my aunt loves them and the snail because I was dealing with diatoms.

I wouldn't even dare rely on ANY of them to keep the tank clean, that'd just be idiotic.

I'd much rather keep the tank clean myself rather than throw in more life producing more waste.

I disagree with adding a CUC unless it's necessary, and even then, manual work would be preferred. You shouldn't just throw in 50 snails because 'you don't have any already'.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
I have 2 hermits and 1 snail in a 10G.

The hermits because my aunt loves them and the snail because I was dealing with diatoms.

I wouldn't even dare rely on ANY of them to keep the tank clean, that'd just be idiotic.

I'd much rather keep the tank clean myself rather than throw in more life producing more waste.

I disagree with adding a CUC unless it's necessary, and even then, manual work would be preferred. You shouldn't just throw in 50 snails because 'you don't have any already'.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
So aside from reduce feeding and not disturbing substrate you just wanna clean your tank yourself to reduce nitrate?
__________________
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CCXGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
So aside from reduce feeding and not disturbing substrate you just wanna clean your tank yourself to reduce nitrate?

I always disturb my substrate, at least 3-4 times a week, there is more to nitrate than sand.

Whenever I have elevated nitrates, I do a water change... Simple as that.

CUC's are rip off's anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
CCXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Water change is already a routine. Since you look at having CUCs in a different angle I will leave you at that.
__________________

__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycling help - High nitrates, high pH jsnuffaluff Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 6 03-19-2015 12:52 AM
Are Nitrates Good or Bad? What are Nitrates? munoza Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 12-18-2013 05:06 PM
cycling my tank, how high is too high for nitrates? boojumsnark25 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 01-26-2007 10:02 AM
High Ca and High Alk and HIGH pH! dansemacabre Saltwater Reef Aquaria 20 07-07-2004 10:35 PM
High Nitrates And the Best way to lower Nitrates Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 11-29-2003 07:40 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.