Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Actually, I meant by removing it, cleaning and oxygenating the sand to remove any sulfide build up and starting it over. I think you never had enough life in the bed to actually get it going right, now it may be too late to simply add some critters, if the sulfide layer has formed close to the surface...they will not survive.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
wow. thats gonna take some time. I'll have to get a ten gallon that didn't have copper in it. for my softies and crabs and stuff. rock ect. ****.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:33 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Before you go to all that trouble wait for other opinions.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wish I had another opinion on how, but I can only concur that I agree it sounds like a sandbed problem from not being setup correctly. This is hardly criticism, sandbeds and how to set them up has gotten pretty vague....with the "throw sand in it and that's it" having been accepted at one point. I think we are starting to find out the proper requirements of this method...but it does not discourage me from using it.

I would like to say that a sandbed can be revitalized, but any suggestion would only be guess as to how, especially when it is not known to what extent hs pockets could exist. At this point, I am just trying to keep the thread active.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Kevin, I know I asked you before, but I forgot. Again. what was that link you used to input cal levels and get your target alk #'s and visa versa? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

NM I found it.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:52 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I found out i was mistaken about the bubbles, cause I saw some lastnight and I think it's bubbles that i can see againts the glass below the sand line.

Is there a good online source that would sell me some LS (not baged) and some worms? also maybe some snails?

I was thinking maybe Darin? is it? at captivreefs.com?

Old 01-07-2004, 08:05 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Well I found out i was mistaken about the bubbles, cause I saw some lastnight and I think it's bubbles that i can see againts the glass below the sand line
How far down are they coming from? Are there worm tracks in the bed and how far down do they f=go? If the sulfide layer is too close to the surface, it will still denitrify some, but you need to be sure how far down your critters are living.

As for the pods and such.... www.ipsf.com and www.inlandaquatics.com both sell detrivore packages. I think captivereefs.com only does dry goods.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How far down are they coming from? Are there worm tracks in the bed and how far down do they f=go?
All the bubbles and algeas, are within the top 2", and the worm tracks beyond that, past the black trim.

Thanks for the links

oh btw, the algeas are red,green, and yellowish brown.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:48 PM   #20
cj10488

Quote:
Is there a good online source that would sell me some LS (not baged) and some worms? also maybe some snails?
liverocks.com They have Awesome LS and Its only 1.00 per pound I believe.. I have soo many worms and pods ect for the 15lbs That I got from them..

HTH<
James

Tags
high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com