High nitrites zero ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dt is cycled and I had my filter sponge sitting in a hob filter for about a week. I just set up my qt tank yesterday and moved the filter sponge. I used the 10g water change to full my qt. I added like two tiny pieces of flake to feed the cycle. Checked today and ammonia is at zero and nitrites appear to be 2-5ppm. I haven'tchecked my trates but this is an obvious sign that my qt didn't cycle instantly right?

After seeing such high trites I checked my dt and my parameters are prefect.

Dt is 30g, qt is 10g. I'm planning on picking up 2 clowns Sunday to put into the qt.

Thanks!

Make sure they go down before adding anything. It has not cycled and usually will not instant cycle. The water doesn't really contain bacteria its the sand and live rock that dose, and the filter but it still may take time.

I know the water doesn't contain bacteria but everything I read about setting up a qt says to use the water from your water change to fill it.

Using a filter sponge from a fully cycled tank should prevent my qt from cycling correct? I'm just wondering should I keep the sponge in my qt or move it back to the dt?

How long had the sponge been on the Dt? Leave it on their it can only help unless it was only on the dt for like 5 days then it will do nothing.

It was in the dt for like 5-7 days. I figured it would have gotten enough bb on it. Ill throw it back into the dt till Sunday

It was in the dt for like 5-7 days. I figured it would have gotten enough bb on it. Ill throw it back into the dt till Sunday

Yeah I believe it usually take about a month to grow colonies in a filter. Take some live rock and sand from your dt and put it in the qt and that will def help if your cycled.

Since I have nitrites that means I have some bb in the filter sponge but I guess the sponge bb doesn't have enough/all that it should and that's why it can't keep up. Which is weird because there is nothing in it

Test the water you used to fill the tank. I bet its high in nitrite. Nitrite being present means the cycle has not yet started.

Nitrite is a by product of the bb pooping the ammonia isn't it? After that the nitrate is a by product of the nitrite poop.

I checked my water in my dt and its perfect.

There is no bacteria in water so it won't slow anything down lol. My filter has been back in my dt to accumulate more bb.

The nitrogen process is what needs to start first not bacteria. Bacteria eat ammonia and nitrite. It has already started because nitrite is showing up. What kind of fish do you plan to add? You might just be able to go for it and add one to the Dt. I dont always qt new fish.

Ok forgot. What you need to do is add 2 table shrimp and leave them in there for today and in a few days check levels if they are high= not cycled. If they are nothing equals= cycled.

bigben2057 said:
Test the water you used to fill the tank. I bet its high in nitrite. Nitrite being present means the cycle has not yet started.

U posted this earlier lol you're contradicting what u just said.

I plan on picking up 2 clowns. I may just throw some sand and a small piece of lr in the qt and toss it after

Back
Top Bottom