High PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willwagner2k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a newbie that just encountered his first disaster. I have a 40gallon tank with a 20 gallon overflow, Live Rock, DSB, a couple of small soft corals, and until recently, a clarkii clownfish and a kole tang, as well as some hermit crabs and snails. I've started using NSW from a LFS for water changes (10% every two weeks) and have RO water to replace lost water.

I've been testing my water routinely for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates regularly and they've all been non-existent. I also regularly check salinity 1.024-1.025 and temperature (81*).

The corals are doing well, no observable stress, but 4 days or so my clarkii died (didn't appear to have any ick or skin disorders), and then one of my hermit crabs, and this morning my tang. I really feel bad for not checking other parameters sooner, but it looks like my PH is high 8.6, althought my Alk. is normal.

Was the high PH what caused those animals to die, or is it likely there is another culprit? I don't want to add more fish until I'm certain they'll be ok, and I'd be happy to wait 6-8 weeks (to allow any parasite to die) if that would help assure better success.

Also, if I wait some weeks before adding new fish, should I continue to add food to the tank so my DSB and inverts stay healty?

Thanks for your advice and counsel

Back
Top Bottom