High PH and Alkalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marty123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have recenlty being having problems with my Calcium levels, so have been using a Kent Marine liquid calcium in conjunction with Kent Marine Alkalinity and PH buffer. MY PH and Alk levels are now high (i.e top of the scale on the Red Sea test kit I use!)

My Calcium level is now at approx 430.

Will continuing to use the buffer bring the PH and Alk down, or is the buffer a one way thing (i.e. up!)?

Thanks

Marty

The buffer will bring up your alkalinity and ph (buffer resists downward changes in pH). So if anything, continuing to use it will bring it up.

Correct. It's an alkalinity increaser. Increasing Alk increases pH proportionately.

I wouldn't use RedSea kits either. From my understanding their alk test kit only tells you 'low, medium, high'...what good is that? You need real numbers to know where you're at. I've also seen lots of issues with very inaccurate redsea tests. If this is a reef tank (and I assume it is since you're worrying about Calcium and alkalinity) do yourself a huge favor and invest in SeaChem or Salifert brand test kits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom