High pressure sodium or Halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you use HPS lights on a reef tank. Is the color spectrum ok or stick with MH instead. They are much cheaper and more readily available.

Thanks

In my honest opinion I would stick with the MH. HPS lighting would work, potentially can have a broader spectrum, is more efficient in terms of lumens per watt and in turn you save more $$$ on the electric bill BUT they would give your water a really Orangy.... HPS... Color which I don't think would be as appealing to the fish or their audience. The plants would sure love it though ;)

Joe

you can use hps balast with a mh conversion bulb but the kelvin rating is only about 4.5k. so better stick with mh's and you can get bulbs from 3k to 20k.

Is Mercury vapor an option? I dont think Halogens will work right? What about Xenon bulbs that simulate HID light . Available online (upgrades for car headlights)

Simple Answer: HPS will not work for aquarium usage. The light spectrum is not the right color range too yellow. HPS is commonly used in street lights and warehouses.

Simple Answer: HPS will not work for aquarium usage. The light spectrum is not the right color range too yellow. HPS is commonly used in street lights and warehouses.

and growing weed. :silly:

Yes you are correct HPS is also used in growing plants, however the spectrum is still wrong for a reef and most likely you will either have a hideous looking tank that is yellow or it will cause an algae outbreak. I've seen it before.

Back
Top Bottom