Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

High tank temperatures

We're currently in a bit of a hot spell in the UK, and as such my tank has been warmer than it has been.

My heater is set at 27°C, but what with my lights (and even when they're off!) and room temperature (although room temp. is a couple of degrees lower, my tank always seems to be higher, even with the lights off), it's been hovering around 28.4°C, which is higher than I'd like.

So, as a temporary measure, I've been taking the hood off, and turning off the lights (I don't have any corals or anything).

But, short of getting a Chiller, what else can I do to keep the level in my tank just that bit lower, with the lights on of course? Why is the level in my tank higher than room temperature, even when the lights and hood have been off all day? If I lower my tank temp. by about 1°, would that mean it would max out at 1° lower than it is now (ie. 27.4°), if the room temperature stays as it is now (it rarely gets hotter than this!)?

If I put a fan in there, surely it's not going to cool the hood/lights down, but just blow the already hot air about?

FYI, my tank is 35gallons, with 2 Maxijet powerheads, and external Eheim filter/heater.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Un plug your heater. I once had a heater break in the on position and the temp in the tank went way high.
If that isn't the problem freeze a soda bottle of water and float it in the tank.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The heater is fine, the temp goes down after a while (albeit slowly).

I was thinking of a more permanent solution rather than floating bottles of water in the tank :p

Thanks for the help though
Old 06-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

go topless?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hehe...it helps a bit (like 0.2° lower), but its mainly the lights that are the problem.

But what I don't understand, is that even with top off/lights off, and temp starting at 27° in the morning, it raises to 28.4° in mid-afteroom, even when room temp gets no higher than 26° - what's driving the temp up that high (my heater is set at 27 and turns off when it gets to this temp - I've checked)...
Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #6
steve-s

If you have a sump, place a larger floor fan so it is constantly blowing air across the sump. If no sump, a fan mounted securely beside the tank top so it blows air across the surface water should increase evap thereby cooling the tank. Also be sure there is not a glass lid on the tank.

If that fails, the 28.4° is a tad high but what I would suggest is increasing the heater setting to 28°C (82.4°F) which would mean much less swings in the temp throughout day and night. The higher temp is not near as damaging (stressful) to the aniamls as the yo-yoing temp. A 0.4°C (1°F) is much easier for the fish and corals to contend with.

Other than that, you'd need to look into a chiller.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, I'll try the fan idea.

What I don't understand though, is why the tank temperature is higher than room temperature, even when everything is turned off and the hood is off?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Then the heat must be coming from a ph or the canister. If all of your equip is running normal(no extra heat) then Try a fan and see what happens
Old 06-08-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
Then the heat must be coming from a ph or the canister.
It definately could be a filter pump or powerhead. Some models definately give off a fair amount of heat. Given the lower nightime temp, it likely the lights as Mark indicated or possibley direct sunlight(?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
its mainly the lights that are the problem. ........temp starting at 27° in the morning, it raises to 28.4° in mid-afteroom, even when room temp gets no higher than 26° - what's driving the temp up that high (my heater is set at 27 and turns off when it gets to this temp - I've checked)...
If the heater is set at 27° it will maintain the tank no cooler than that no matter how cold the room gets. If the temp returns to the 27° at night after lights off then the lights are generating more heat than the AC in the room can handle.

Does the light hood have fans built into it?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

No direct sunlight, and no fans.

I just dont understand why (with no lights or hood on all day, and AM temp at 27), the tank temp can get higher (28°) than room temp (26°)?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com