Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

High Temperature issues

I've been having temperature issues that I'm having a hard time trying to correct.
I have a 90 gallon saltwater DT with a 30 gallon sump. I recently purchased two eheim 200 watt heaters that i put on my sump to replace the 250 W i had on my DT since it was acting up and temperatures were fluctuating a lot.
Now I'm at the point where after recalibrating both heaters and reducing the heat in my apartment I still have a temperature of 82.2F in my DT (mid day all lights on) and i just unplugged both heaters from the sump to see what happens. All that's heating the water are the metal halides, T5's and a 6500K 25W lightbulb on my refugium.
Temperature 6 hours after lights off is 80 to 81
Temperature in my apartment is 75F and humidity is 49.
I turned off the heat in the apartment on my wall thermostat but it seems there is still heat coming through thus the room temp.
I'm in Canada just in case people ask why are my temperatures high.
Not sure what to do to have my temperature go down to 75 or 77.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjos View Post
I've been having temperature issues that I'm having a hard time trying to correct.
I have a 90 gallon saltwater DT with a 30 gallon sump. I recently purchased two eheim 200 watt heaters that i put on my sump to replace the 250 W i had on my DT since it was acting up and temperatures were fluctuating a lot.
Now I'm at the point where after recalibrating both heaters and reducing the heat in my apartment I still have a temperature of 82.2F in my DT (mid day all lights on) and i just unplugged both heaters from the sump to see what happens. All that's heating the water are the metal halides, T5's and a 6500K 25W lightbulb on my refugium.
Temperature 6 hours after lights off is 80 to 81
Temperature in my apartment is 75F and humidity is 49.
I turned off the heat in the apartment on my wall thermostat but it seems there is still heat coming through thus the room temp.
I'm in Canada just in case people ask why are my temperatures high.
Not sure what to do to have my temperature go down to 75 or 77.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Try this... Leave the apartment thermostat at your temp. Turn the heaters off and in 24 hours see what the temp is...

Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Having a fan blowing on the surface of the water will help. Do you have a timer for your lights? Can you decrease the time the lights are on. I believe the lights are going to be your main source of heat. The metal halides in particular.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since your room temp is already 75 it would be hard to control the heat from Metal Halides to your DT during the day. A fan directed to the sides of DT during the day may help. You need only 1 heater at the sump and may be set 1 degree lower than your desired temp to compensate for its defferential charaterestic.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a PC fan blowing across my MH that's on the same timer as my MH works out pretty well.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks guys,

24 hours later after unplugging both 200 watt heaters from my sump DT temperature is still at 82.7 2 hours after metal halides went out.
i have metal halides for 6 hours a day.
Going to invest on two PC fans on both ends of the MH stand facing each other. I think that will help
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using a digital thermometer? Have you checked if it is calibrated?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

get a Ranco 2 stage temp controller ($100-125), heaters in one end, fan in the other, set it and forget it. It works by turning the power on and off as needed. Plus if you have a heater go bad and get stuck on it will turn the power off to it. Havent had to mess with heaters for 4 years since installing one
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjos View Post
Thanks guys,

24 hours later after unplugging both 200 watt heaters from my sump DT temperature is still at 82.7 2 hours after metal halides went out.
i have metal halides for 6 hours a day.
Going to invest on two PC fans on both ends of the MH stand facing each other. I think that will help
Make sure your thermometer is not directly under your MH. Otherwise you will be getting a false reading. I have one thermometer in sump and another in DT.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, if you are using a digital thermometer then I suggest getting a glass aquarium thermometer. The common digital ones are inaccurate. The glass thermometers are very reliable.

Tags
temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com