Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

High water safety shut-off switch?

I have an overflow box with 2 siphon tubes. Occasionally, the tubes clog with algae growth before I get a chance to clean them. The tubes stop siphoning and the pump continues to run and fills my display to the point of overflow. I have seen a product that will automatically shut off the pump in case water reaches the top of the display tank, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Does anybody have any suggestions? TIA.

David

Old 03-29-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
If you have a little electronic exprience you can wire your return pump to a float switch like this one

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...760105&ccitem=

The switch is reversible so you have to make sure it is in the normally closed position so when the float rises it cuts the current. Check the wattage/current draw of your pump as this switch is only rated for 30 watts if your pump draws more then you'll need a beefier switch. Grainger is wholesale only but the site gives you an idea of what is out there. HTH

Old 03-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

OMGoodness... don't pay that much for the switch though! check e-bay for "Float Switch" I paid $7 for mine. I bought a batch of 3 for $20 somthing.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
This is one of the cheapest I've seen recently, I don't know anything about this place or the product and am not endorsing it. Also note the rated wattage is only 20 watts. Look around and try e-bay, I'm sure there's more people selling them.

http://www.floatswitches.net/floatswitch.html

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com