Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2003, 12:33 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Point made. Now lets move on..

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:45 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I feel absolutely NO loyalty to any local retailer. The markup is exhorbitant, the advice is crap. Why should I make "their" mistakes. I will do my research, buy where I can find the quality I desire and a price I am willing to pay. To be honest, I could care less if they go out of business. It is because of them, that I turned to the internet to shop. Explain to me why it is that I can buy a fish online, with a 10 day guarantee and I can't find a SW fish store within 150 miles that will guarantee past the front door? Explain to me why an online retailer warranteed a VHO bulb that was 3 months old yet the LFS wouldnt even warranty one 2 days old?

Old 04-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Explain to me why it is that I can buy a fish online, with a 10 day guarantee and I can't find a SW fish store within 150 miles that will guarantee past the front door?
Because of overhead. Online fish stores, some of them, are just like you or I. The difference is, they have a website and they have the same resources the LFS have.

The LFS has a steep rent etc... when they sell a fish for $50, that is $50 in the bank. If they give you another fish because that one died, they lose $25 in their book.
Some of the LFS get burned because the buyer has crappy water quality, and they do end up losing money. I have heard of people taking back fish that died, in freshly made saltwater just to get by the testing at the LFS.

These are just some of the reasons I have heard and know.

Quote:
Explain to me why an online retailer warranteed a VHO bulb that was 3 months old yet the LFS wouldnt even warranty one 2 days old?
This is mostly due to shipping costs and time spent for the retailer.
believe it or not, the LFS has the same return policies that the consumer does, if not, better.
Most choose to not honor the warranties because it is a hassle to the Ma Pa retailer. Also, their lack of knowledge in running a good business IMO.

Large chains I do not see this problem in as much.

Online retailers can drop ship with their suppliers which allows them to warranty items for what is standard for their suppliers. They issue a request for a drop ship and you return with RMA. Then they ship items back to the manufacturer or supplier. Good Business.....

This actually falls in the first question also.

I know this, because I have worked with wholesalers and 99% will stand behind products they sell, up to what the manufacturer allows.

I think it is all after the almighty dollar and not your patronage anymore.. My LFS's around here, could care less whether you buy anything from them or not. Was told that a few times from them because of price gouging and letting them know of it...
Real sad that we have to resort to online retailers to get quality service... What is this world coming to????

Old 08-22-2003, 10:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's always been about the almighty dollar, patronage is how to get that dollar. There is always someone to compete with slackards who screw customers. The rise of the internet will require local shops to compete with internet prices. Of course, they probably can't because of overhead, so they will need to find something to compensate for that divergence in price. Customer service is a big one. It's a slow process sometimes, but it always works.

BTW, I'm Tom. I've had a 75 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now and I love it. New to the site, hope to learn a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2
I think it is all after the almighty dollar and not your patronage anymore.. My LFS's around here, could care less whether you buy anything from them or not. Was told that a few times from them because of price gouging and letting them know of it...
Real sad that we have to resort to online retailers to get quality service... What is this world coming to????
Old 08-23-2003, 12:59 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

twenty years...you should be offering the advice
Old 08-23-2003, 01:15 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

MY LFS here in plymouth meeting, PA is very competetive with the online prices, especially when shipping charges are accounted for. Not all LFS are run by morons, and, or gougers. opinions are like....well you know...read, read, and raed some more, also take notes, IMO.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:26 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

I, being a newbie, have to agree that this thread has become somewhat volatile. I sure would appreciate a thread that is more informative. Sorry!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:03 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, if I was more proficent with splitting I would probably attemp to make this a three topics. One about starting a tank with CC substrate, one about accepting opinoins and not thinking that you are being attacked, and one about the LFS vs the OFS.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:42 AM   #39

Great Idea

Old 08-23-2003, 12:31 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Hm, I was kind of hopeing this thread would die of old age. Up until last night the most recent post on this topic was in April.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com