Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
Hippo Tang

I'm going to be setting up a 75 gallon tank in coming months. I have been told numerous things about putting a Hippo tang in. I have been told that it would be fine, however, i've also been told it would get too big. What does everyone think?

Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

75 should be fine. It all depends on how many other fish you plan to get and how much room you will be taking up with live rock. 75 is the minimum recommended size for a tang.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
I was hoping to also have a couple of larger clownfish. If i had the Hippo and two larger clownfish, what else could i put in?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can have several smaller species, I just meant you probably wouldn't want to add another type of tang or the ones that get several inches long. Clowns, cardinals, gobies, blennies, chromis, you know the kind that don't get very large like tangs.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you will be fine as well. The key is finding a healthy fish and QT it first. Cramped quarters can lead to stress which can lead to ich. A light bioload will help with this. I have a regal in my 72 and it has doubled in size in the last year.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:29 AM   #6

Stay away from damsels if that's the case. Oh, I have mixed opinion about the blue hippo tang. Some say they are pretty hardy but others say they need prestine water conditions. I guess it depends on whether the LFS associate is eager to sell you the fish or really concerned of the fish's welfare.

Blue Hippos are great. they play dead a lot of times, they swim in a funny way, and they have such a personality. But they are expensive. I bought mine for $39.99 and it's about 2" big. It was attacked and killed by yellow tail damsels.

I stayed with triggers and puffers instead.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

They also like to wedge themselves in places such as small crevices, shells, etc.

Tags
hippo, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com