hirocks.com good or bad ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirLight1337

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will the rock that they are selling add to the biological filtration in my tank ? Does it need curing ? Just a rise and drop it in ?

How is their customer service ? Me and the search function of this site do not yet get along. Im sorry if its a repost or anything but i could not find the information i was looking for. TIA

SL

Its not live so you would just have to make sure its cleaned off.

It would add to the bio filtration but it will take time for it to get established with bateria.

they are good but you must wash the rock thoroughly to avoid a dust storm. You will need live rock (liverocks.com) to seed that dead rock if you want bio filtration.

You will need live rock (liverocks.com) to seed that dead rock if you want bio filtration.

Not entirely true, natural bacteria will develop on the rock over time causing it to be live, however it is a good suggestion to seed it with liverock from liverocks,com. They have the best I personally have seen.

It will seed faster with live rock added. You'll need live rock if you want coralline algae to grow though, that or some scrapings of coralline from someone elses LR, and lots of patience.
And since hi-rocks is 'dead' and dry, it won't ship with any neat hitch hikers.

IMO, their rock is an excellent value. Upside: price, generally interesting rock and perfect for building a base upon which to place your live rock. Downsides: you don't get to select your pieces, ship time (10 days to east coast, should be much less within CA), and a PO'd UPS delivery guy. I second the wash thoroughly comment. You will literally get a box of rocks, no additional packaging, with dust everywhere. My customer service experience was great via email. Good luck.

Only downside is that everyone who has good rocks / good live rock lives in FL. It costs a gripload to ship to CA without massive dieoff.

SirLight, did you actually price rock from Liverocks.com? Yes my shipping was something like $100, but it was still cheaper to buy 40lbs of Keyes rock online for a shipped price of like $4.50/lb, than to buy it locally for $5.99/lb. Plus the keyes rock was cured, had hitch hikers, and was beautifully covered in coralline, while the local LR was un-cured, void of hitch-hikers (even pods!), and zero coraline.
But that's only shipping Fl to Nebraska...halfway across the country instead of teh whole way.

locally if you buy 50 lbs its 3.99 a lb but its cheapo fiji rock, usally no hitch hikers, decent coraline though. for 30lbs of rock shipped to me from LR, its 219.85 so i can get an extra 20 lbs locally for the same price.

Am i the only one who thinks liverock is a bit overpriced ?

OOO just found a local place with tonga deepwater LR for 2.99 a lb thats where im goin. :)

Back
Top Bottom