Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hitchhicking crab

Well I was feeding today and I noticed a dead crab in my tank. It's sand colored kinda tan and brown. Should I be glad it didn't make it?

Rachel

Old 04-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure you should be glad but certainly I wouldn't be heart broken over it. Are you sure it's the crab and not a molt?

Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I looked at it again I took it out and it crumbled so I'm going with a molt. Hummm, what kind of crab do you think this is? Should I leave it alone or try to catch it? I already have a strawberry crab will they fight?

Rachel

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's up to you what you do. Crabs are controversial. Most are rather harmless while small and will scavage. Some are filter feeders and considered always safe. Really need to try and identify the type of crab you have first. What color/type of claw does it have? Were they flat? Does it have black tips or where the very points of the claws flat? Any way to get a pic?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

To many questions LOL. I don't know now I crushed the shell when trying to see if it was a molt or a dead crab. I was a tan color with brown on it. I don't remember what the claws looked like either. I'll try to do a search and see if I can identify it.

Rachel

Old 04-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Check out wetwebmedia.com and search hitchhiker crabs. They have a good many pictures on there.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it is very unsetteling when you go into your tank and grab the molt of a crab. I always freak out and think it is going to bite me...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tell me about it. I'm sitting here looking at it thinking ok I know I didn't buy that so were did it come from. Then it's just sitting there and I'm thinking ok it's dead it has to be it was perfectly in tact eyeballs and everything. So then I'm thinking I'm not going to touch it. So I get a spoon and take it out. Then I think I know I'll let my husband look at it and tell me if there's anything in the shell until I got the nerve up to smush it and sure enough just a shell. Very freaky I wonder what else is yet so show up.

Rachel

Old 05-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
My friend who has a reef used to talk about this black hitcher he had in his reef tank with very hairy legs and huge claws and how he was really afraid of it. Well, he passed an orange encrusting monti on to me about 8 months ago, and I guess the little guy took a ride to my house. Its about 4.5" across now and looks mean as mean can be, however I have watched it and its harmless. Still spooks me when I get to probing around my tank with a flash light at night and come across it though. Aside from that I think I have two hitcher crabs living in a cauliflower and another half dozen in various acropora and montis. So they are not always all bad.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL I don't know if I can stick my hand in my tank with that in there. Hairy legs no thanks.

Rachel

Tags
crab, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com