hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best way of removing all of the hitchhikers from a piece of live rock? Once they are off, which ones should I keep out of my tank? I know about the mantis shrimp, but what else is there?

Thanks
Jim

I belive people use seltzer water and add salt to get it to the right SG. THe bubbling will make the critters go crazy and shoot out of the rock.

The hitchhickers you keep depend on what you want to do in your tank. If you plan on going full reef most crabs are best left out of the tank. Snails and shrimp such as pistols are usually okay to add. Other worms and little bug type critters are usually safe as well.

Place the rock in a container of matured saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 - 1.040. Everything living will leap off the rock like its on fire. Wait one minute and remove the rock quickly and inspect for any bristle worms still halfway out of the rock. If you want to remove them have some needle nose pilers or tweezers on hand. You can now sift through the bucket and pick what to keep and what to give a 21 flush salute.

Carbonated water, not seltzer water.

Also, I am against the killing of unwanted hitchhikers, most LFS will take them for store credit, or definately for free.

Yea, I am also against. My LFS takes everything from calurpa harvests to mantis shrimp. The 21 flush salute was just a joke. I should have been more clear.

Take care

Back
Top Bottom