Hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just added 35 lbs. LR to my new tank. How long does it take to start seeing any living creatures ???

I'd think it depends on what hitchikers are in your rock. Critters, maybe today. Other stuff may start to grow much later.

I think you might have to stay on top of water changes if you want the critters to live thru it all. Cycling w/rock, is that the plan? What kind of rock?

Got pics?

I am staying up on water changes. The rock has only been in for 3 days. No sign of any life. I know its overkill but in the initial setup I added LS. How do I add pics ????

I'm not the one to ask about pics. I'm gonna get my 15 year old stepson to help me w/that.

You checking the water? Cycling with the rock right?

Yes, checked yesterday and ammonia and nitrites were up. So I did a 10 gal. water change. The rock came from my LFS here in louisville Ky.

hard to say if you have critters or not.
it could take a little bit to see what you have. 35 lbs isnt a huge amount but you would be surprised how good these guys can hide.

I got my LR from LR.com. I got tons of critters, some I have just discovered after months,

My LFS dips their rock and sells all the critters seperate.

Try looking with a flash light at night.

I don't know how your LFS is, but I know that the rock I got from mine didn't really have much visible life on it. After a week or 2 I got some stuff from LR.com, and that had an abundance of stuff.

Chances are you have some types of worms in your rock, like dusters or some flatworms. But it would be a while before you saw much of anything. The cool thing is if there is any life inside the rock, you could look at the tank every day and see new stuff. But it may be a couple weeks.

-j

There is a lot of BAD stuff that gets sold as "live rock"...forgive me, but to call it "live rock" it should have life on it.

LR.com is #1.

Back
Top Bottom