Hitchhiking moray?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, you may have read the post about my new snowflake moray that has been added to the puffer tank. I added a bunch of LR to the tank earlier...all this rock came from my other tanks and has been in there for at least 6 months. So, I'm feeding the puffer and offering the snowflake a piece of shrimp this afternoon when I see something else in a hole in the rock. At first I thought it was the snowflakes tail. Then I realized that it had eyes and a mouth full of tiny little teeth! It's about, as nearly as I can tell, 6-8" long and perhaps 3/8-1/2" in diameter. It's sort of the mottled brownish color with a bit of a greenish hue...almost like he got hit with some overspray from green paint. So...I offered it a piece of the shrimp thinking if this thing has been in this rock all this time, never being fed, he's gotta be starving. He boiled out of the hole, nailed the shrimp, snarled at me, and dove back in. I wonder...is it possible...did this thing survive the trip from where ever this LR came from? I certainly didn't buy him and I've had the rock...all of it...for over 6 months. And...while we're on the subject...what the $#@%@ should I do with it? If it's a green moray, it's gonna get huge! Anyone with moray experience...since it's so small, can I just leave it in with the snowflake and the GSP for a while? Or should I try to get it out and into a different tank now? Good Lord!!! What next?!

How cool Logan!
I am thrilled if I find a snail hitchhiker.

We are setting up an eel tank next month, so i
find this really exciting for you!

i'd leave it in there and let it grow until you can figure out what kind of eel it is .they should all get along just fine but you never know so keep him fed.they can survive because they have a thick coat of mucus on their body.that is what makes them so hardy.so congrats on your new eel . it sounds like it could be a richardson's moray or they are also called assorted morays but i just read that they are very secretive and have voracious appetites :twisted: and they are more active in dimmed lights.hth

that is probably the coolest thing anyone has ever gotten for free :mrgreen:

Yeah, it is kinda cool. I just hope it doesn't get 8' long and eat the neighbors cat. Might be an excuse to set up another tank though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Any of you live close to me? I may need a place to hang out for a couple of days after I suggest the "new tank" idea to Kymme 8O.

That must be fricken awesome.

*writes that up as another tihng to look forward to when, or if he ever goes saltwater. Cool Hitchhikers*

Back
Top Bottom