Hitchickers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,,, ok so I've recently added some large pieces of lr and over the last few days I've noticed a crab, even more so today I counted 6 of them all different in size, the smallest about 1cm an the biggest about 2cm. My questions are what type might they be, will they grow large and will they be reef safe???

Unfortunately no I've tried getting pics of them but they don't seem to like their pic taken everytime i get the camera on them they go into hiding.

Their a kind of light green colour, just sat on rocks picking bits off them? Look cute but hope they don't get big and nasty.

porcecrab.jpg
This looks more like the ones I'm talking about says their considered reef safe, lets hope so, thanks for the link.

Porcelain crabs do sometimes come as hitchhikers. There are some characteristics that porcelain crabs have that other crab do not. Such as, filter feeding appendages, 3 legs on either side (other crabs have 4). It's much more common to have Xanthid crabs as hitchhikers. I would suggest trying to capture these crabs, take some photos, and post them for an identification. Many use the glass cup trick.

If they're porcelain crabs, I have them in my reef tank. Never touch a thing. Plus they're cool because they filter feed by swinging "arms" through the water. Lol.

Thanks for your help hope they are the same as what you have, they do look good roaming on the rocks though, thanks again everyone.

I want some of those !! Lol I just bought 400 lbs of live rock and I inspected every inch of it. Haven't found anything.

Having bought 400 lbs of live rock, you have to have gotten some hitchhikers. Lol.

I'm hoping so. I want all the fun of saltwater.

You will. :) you'll just randomly find stuff. I've decided you never really know what you have living in a saltwater aquarium. Lol.

I'm one if those types girlfriends can't stand... I'll sit in front of my tank for hours. Or if company is coming over.. Better hurry and clean the house!! I'll get the tank you clean the rest!! Lmao

Haha. I tell them straight up. What's the first thing company looks at?? That's why it has to be so clean!!

Back
Top Bottom